Colouring Smbc

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 4:02am by MCurry

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 4

I know there have been a number of threads where people have asked about colouring SMBC. Some people just use the regular water based colours without issue, others say heat up a small amount of SMBC and mix the colour into that and then add back into the full batch, and others say to use candy colours. Has anyone ever used the Americolor Flo-Coat with their SMBC and regular water based colours?

According the Global SugarArt's site "Flo-coat is a food coloring agent that allows you to use any of Americolor's Soft Gel Pastes to color white chocolate and compound coatings. The usage ratio is 5 parts of Flo-Coat to 1 part of Soft Gel Paste." They have it listed under the Candy Making Supplies section.

I'm going to be doing some cupcakes over the holiday season for several events and want to use SMBC for them, but I plan on tinting it to different colours, and want to order in what I need now, so that I have it.

Thanks

3 replies
crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:37am
post #2 of 4

I use powdered color. It's been fabulous. The colors are really rich.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:54am
post #3 of 4

I saw powdered colours as well. Do they change the consistency at all of SMBC?

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:02am
post #4 of 4

I use Americolor gels and once in a while Wilton's gel to color my SMBC without issue. I have not used Flo-Coat. If you end up using it, please let us know how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%