Pricing Question - Central Va. Richmond Area

Decorating By maude Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 12:32pm by costumeczar

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 5

Was wondering if anyone is from Central Va. Richmond area and what is the average price per serving. I feel like I am undercharging, but at the same time don't want to drive customers away with prices too high. Thanks

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 5

It is good to be aware of how your prices compare with others, but when it is all said in done you have to make sure you are covering your costs, your labor and making a profit.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, Maude,

I'm in Richmond. How much are you charging per serving? I know a few bakers in Petersburg, so I'll either tell you you're fine or I'll have them come over and beat you up for undercutting them icon_twisted.gif No, not really....

There's a relatively large price range around here, but people tend to add fees on, so that the average price per serving for basic cakes is around $3 to $3.75 a serving once everything is added in. I'm higher than that, but I do more custom stuff. There are some who are a LOT higher, but if you're much lower than that you're probably ripping yourself off. I've seen recently where some people who were charging $2.85 a serving have raised their starting price to $3.00, and I know that they add a lot of fees to that, so their actual price per serving ends up higher.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 5

Well costumeczar I really am undercharging, embarrassed to say by how much icon_smile.gif. Thanks for the info, looks like I need to make some changes.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

Well costumeczar I really am undercharging, embarrassed to say by how much icon_smile.gif. Thanks for the info, looks like I need to make some changes.

uh oh, don't make me come down there and smack you! icon_twisted.gif

Here's one Petersburg wedding business that I know of, you can take a look at their pricing then go smack yourself for me icon_rolleyes.gif

http://www.itsapieceofcakeva.com/cakepriceguide.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%