Buttercream Wedding Cake ~ Help

Decorating By lbt1209 Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 4:18am by MCurry

lbt1209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbt1209 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:29am
post #1 of 6

Hi all!!! I have a wedding cake coming up and they want it all buttercream. I guess my question is basically what methods are used for stacking a wedding cake. I use dowels on all my other stacked celebration cakes but this will obviously be my largest cake yet. It's a 4 tier/150 servings cake. Also, how it the world do you get it to look so smooth? Am I using the wrong type of buttercream (wilton recipe)? Any suggestions would tremendously be appreciated. Maybe I should add all my cakes are covered in fondant so this would be my first buttercream. Also, I'm worried that the buttercream will soften and the cake would collapse. icon_eek.gif A little paranoid here lol. PLEASE HELP!!!! TIA icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:58am
post #2 of 6

I use sugarshacks buttercream icing recipe or indy debs both will crust nicely so you can smooth it. I use sps system for my cakes and have never had any problems transporting 4 tier cakes -instructions posted in how to section. HTH

crystal18_corpus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystal18_corpus Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:02am
post #3 of 6

ok for smoothing I advise you to get "sugared productions perfecting the art of buttercream" you can search it on google it has helped me so much with buttercream smoothing. if you have a good support system you do not have to worry about your cake colapsing. look up sps system it is cheap and great for stacked cakes ... I also use the wilton buttercream so yes you can use this on a wedding cake

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 7:14am
post #4 of 6

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread contains popular CC recipes for crusting American b/c's, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC with flavor variations) - and so much more including popular cake support systems w/complete instructions!

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 1:12am
post #5 of 6

Calm down; take a deep breath and let it out. Remember to breath through this icon_smile.gif
B'cream will NOT make the cake soft, fall apart or collapse. If you look at my pictures you will see some 80-90% of my cakes are b'cream. Yes, even the biggest wedding cakesicon_smile.gif
Nothing wrong w/the Wilton recipe except there are many other recipes that taste sooo much better. One I recommend is "2 of everything". It is very simple:
2 cups shortening (Crisco)
2 cups butter
2 pounds of powdered sugar
2 pinches of salt
2 Tablespoons flavoring (make a mixture of vanilla; butter and almond flavorings or whatever taste you prefere)
Cream the butter and shortening very well - up to 10 minutes. Add about 1/4 to 1/3 of the sugar while beating on low to med speed; continue beating another 5-10 minutes before adding another portion of sugar, flavoring & salt & again combine for 5-10 minutes; now add the last of the sugar & beat until sugar is incomporated and icing is super smoooooth icon_smile.gif
That icing will NOT crust. For a crusting icing it is a simple matter of reducing the fat by 1 cup: That would mean using 1&1/2 cups of each OR using 1 C Crisco and 2 cups of butter OR 1 cup butter and 2 of Crisco.
This icing spreads so easily and smoothly you won't believe it icon_smile.gif
If you want the video by SugarEd productions I have a copy available......p.m. me

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 4:18am
post #6 of 6

I think everyone here has you covered regarding the buttercream. And I agree there are better tasting buttercream than Wilton's.

Regarding the dowels, I use them as well. With all my tiered cakes , in addition to the dowels on each tier, I always put one long dowel in the center that that connects all tiers together as well. So far so good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%