Need A Faster Method Of Sizing Cakes For Weddings.

Decorating By Dreme Updated 14 Nov 2011 , 8:48pm by Dreme

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 4

I need a better way to simplify my process with couples for weddings cakes. Right now I have a master sheet with all the possible cake sizes and kitchen cake options if needed. When a bride gives me her guest count (in advance to meeting), I write down in the spaces provided all the options available for the guest count based on if she wants a round, square,or both on the info packet I give her.

When I have several tastings a week this can take up too much of my time writing each info packet up. I'm looking to make a lot of drastic changes in my processes for the upcoming year. Being the primary person for my business I need to be a lot quicker with how things are done and simplify things.

I'm wondering what everyone else does. How do you and the couple figure the best size cake for their event? Do you give them options (below, at, and a little over their guest count)?

3 replies
Lschreck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lschreck Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 4

I use Earlene'e cake chart, it also has wedding cake servings on it for round cakes.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 4

I did up an excel spreadsheet. I just put all my sizes down in one colum, the servings from those sizes in the next, a blank colum for the number of tiers on each size, than the last colum is a formula that multiplies the servings by my tier choices. It adds up at the bottom, and I'm good to go.

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 4

I do have an excel document similar to yours CalhounsCakery. I only use it to figure out cake sizes to add to my master list. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have an excel document with the master list of every cake combination in it. When you enter in a guest count or number of servings needed it will pull all of the options available for that serving amount and highlight them or something. This way I could just print out a sheet to give the brides rather than have to write their options each time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%