Chocolate Fondant Or Chocolate Ganache?

Decorating By Rhonlynn Updated 22 Nov 2011 , 2:05am by Rhonlynn

Rhonlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonlynn Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to make a cake in a bowl shape (1/2 a sports ball pan), and make it look like a coffee cup. I am covering it with white fondant. On the "coffee" part of the cup, the middle, I want to use chocolate. Would it be best tro buy some chocolate fondant (I can possibly use it for my son's snowboarding cake, he wants yellow cake...with chocolate frosting, and I'm making a snowy hill, from the other half of the sports ball pan...lol) I'm pretty sure I can use the chocolate fondant for his cupcakes he also wants. There is the coffee cup cake, and then on December 8th, there's the snowboarding cake.

So, for the chocolate "coffee" part of the cup, should I use chocolate purchased fondant? Chocolate ganche I thought about using, but I need so very little of it...and I'm pretty sure chocolate ganache doesn't freeze. Can I use chocolate crusting buttercream on thew fondant "coffee cup"?

7 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:26am
post #2 of 8

Have you thought of using modelling chocolate?

Rhonlynn Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 8

Modeling chocolate would work well.. I have Friday night and Saturday, for the most part, free to make it and decorate it. They sell that at Baker's Rack. It is 10 minutes from the gym I go to Saturday....I think you just solved it! I have to go there and buy an odd shaped box.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonlynn

Chocolate ganche I thought about using, but I need so very little of it...and I'm pretty sure chocolate ganache doesn't freeze. Can I use chocolate crusting buttercream on thew fondant "coffee cup"?

I've read that you can freeze the ganache.

Also with ganache, since it is a ratio 'recipe' you can make as much or as little of it as you need.

vgereis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgereis Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 8

Just to tag along to this a little... TexasSugar do you have a good ganache recipe? I have a pirate cake that I need to make and was thinking of covering it in ganache in order to make it a bit more sturdy.

Thanks in advance!

Vicky

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 8

Ganache absolutely freezes, I do it all the time. Love it!

Dark chocolate is a ratio of 2 (choc) : 1 (cream)
White and milk chocolate is a ratio of 3:1

Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 8

I freeze ganache all the time, it comes back perfectly!

Rhonlynn Posted 22 Nov 2011 , 2:05am
post #8 of 8

Okay, ganache is cool, but would you please explain the difference between ganache, and frosting? I think I've eaten something with ganache, but not sure what it is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%