Red Cricut Cake Vs Martha Stewart Cricut Cake...

Decorating By kjgjam22 Updated 20 Nov 2011 , 2:27pm by kel58

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 19

Hi Eveyone,

I was on amazon searching for the cricut cake. I found the red one for 78 and the martha stewart one for 400 and change. Is there a difference between the two in how they work or is it just because its branded martha?

Kathy

18 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 19

I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to let you know that you can get the red one for $49.95 at http://www.cricutmachine.com/product_info.php?products_id=441 if you decide to get it.

Rosita0547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosita0547 Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 12:34am
post #3 of 19

I have this Cricut and to be honest, its VERY hard to use. I have tried every way possible and it will only cut LARGE things...it's not worth the money in my opinion.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 19

They're identical in function.

trfeist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trfeist Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 1:23am
post #5 of 19

I have the red Cricut and I love it! if you can get it for $49 that is amazing. I was excited when I got mine for $149!
It has taken some trial and error and a little frustration in the beginning, but I love my cricut! Rosita0547 is right that it works best on large images, but if you roll out your fondant/gumpaste (I use MMF) and let it set over night then adjust your pressure and speed you can find the right combination to get the results you are looking for. I would suggest rolling out extra sheets of your fondant to practice on before you are ready to make your final decorations for a cake. That way you can find the right balance of pressure and speed for smaller details. You can also buy fondant sheets that are made for the Cricut but I have not tried them so I can't speak to how well they work. HTH and happy Cricut experimenting!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 12:48am
post #6 of 19

thanks everyone for your help. i have wanted the cricut since i first saw it at 499.00...im glad i waited. 50 bucks is a steal. icon_smile.gif thanks again. Ill hint to hubby that christmas is on its way.

IHeartCaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCaking Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:34am
post #7 of 19

Everyone, there is another thread about the 50$ cricut deal. apparently this company has a BBB rating for F! And some posters have had a terrible experience. I think it smells like a scam. Beware!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:39am
post #8 of 19

If you use frosting sheets from icingimages (their premium sheets) you can cut any size and fine details. So much easier then messing with fondant/gumpaste. BEWARE of cricutmachine.com.. A lot of people have had problems with fraud on their accounts after purchasing from that company. Check out the other threads on that company before ordering.

Rosita0547 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosita0547 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 19

Thank you Tiggy2, I will defiantly get some premium sheets from icing images and try with those, like I said..I was so excited when I got my Cricut because of all the beautiful cartridges out there but I just couldn't get it to cut correctly, maybe with these sheets it will....so looking forward to finding out!! Thank you!

tiggy2 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosita0547

Thank you Tiggy2, I will defiantly get some premium sheets from icing images and try with those, like I said..I was so excited when I got my because of all the beautiful cartridges out there but I just couldn't get it to cut correctly, maybe with these sheets it will....so looking forward to finding out!! Thank you!

Also check out Linda McClure's live demo on cakeswebake website. She demos cutting frosting sheets with electronic cutters.

EricasCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricasCakeCreations Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 19

The machines are discounted so low because they are being discontinued. I work at an arts and craft store and ALL of the products that go with the Cricut cake including the machine, have been marked down and still don't sell. I don't exactly know why, but you might want to look into that before investing in something that might not be worth it. Check ratings online and whatever info you can get about it before actually purchasing it.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 19

It's because people are realizing that this machine isn't going to turn you into a super decorator and that it isn't as easy as 1.. 2.. 3.. to get it to work. That and I believe that ProvoCraft has made it so that you *have* to use the cartridges and people want to be able to make their own designs... not just what they tell you you can make.

Before you buy a new one... check eBay... and before that check out the Silhouette. You have to purchase Makes the Cut to create your own designs, but it is far less limiting.

I still say there is nothing it can do that you can't do with a craft knife and a little patience. Unless you regularly have to make masses of the same cut outs it is uncecessary, but a fun toy none-the-less.

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 19

I picked it up at $149, got al the cake cartridges. It's collecting dust. NOT the hype they marketed it be. Good luck either way you go....

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 19

I have the red cricut that i purchased the night that they came out on HSN and that didn't hurt as much because of the flex pay. And it came with the cartridges. I haven't had the time to play with it. But when I needed to do letters it did work as long as I had someone with patients to take all the little centers and stuff out of the letters. I am glad that my brother in law was here he has super patients and is one of those detail people wont give up until perfect. It took 3 people me to roll out the fondant thin (used my pasta roller) and put on the mat. My girlfriend to place it and set it and cut it.. and then
him to take off the matt and clean up the cuts.

I want to try it with the "good" icing sheets, if someone could let me know how to find those icing images? The ones that came with cricut were so thin they would break easy. The thin fondant worked if I put in freezer for a few min.

Has anyone tried the martha stewart cartridges? Is it worth getting?

tiggy2 Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

I have the red that i purchased the night that they came out on HSN and that didn't hurt as much because of the flex pay. And it came with the cartridges. I haven't had the time to play with it. But when I needed to do letters it did work as long as I had someone with patients to take all the little centers and stuff out of the letters. I am glad that my brother in law was here he has super patients and is one of those detail people wont give up until perfect. It took 3 people me to roll out the fondant thin (used my pasta roller) and put on the mat. My girlfriend to place it and set it and cut it.. and then
him to take off the matt and clean up the cuts.

I want to try it with the "good" icing sheets, if someone could let me know how to find those icing images? The ones that came with were so thin they would break easy. The thin fondant worked if I put in freezer for a few min.

Has anyone tried the martha stewart cartridges? Is it worth getting?

The frosting sheets are the preium sheets from icingimages.com Not sure what images you are looking for.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 8:30pm
post #16 of 19

Those are the images that I am talking about. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Just didn't know how to go about an order.

thank you. I will check them out.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 2:18am
post #17 of 19

Just my thoughts on the cricut cake. I have the cricut and silhouette. I use and like the silhouette so much more than the cricut. The fact that the cricut cake machine has tanked is Provo Crafts own fault. It is called karma, or what goes around comes around. They pirated the idea, tried to make a go of it without the expertise needed and then market it as an instant cake decorating machine. Those who are lucky enough to figure out how to make it work really like the machine Most people think it is a waste of money. Using an electronic cutter is a great way to add interest to a cake. It has been a great time saver in my business.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Nov 2011 , 3:10am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniekaye

Just my thoughts on the cake. I have the and silhouette. I use and like the silhouette so much more than the . The fact that the cake machine has tanked is Provo Crafts own fault. It is called karma, or what goes around comes around. They pirated the idea, tried to make a go of it without the expertise needed and then market it as an instant cake decorating machine. Those who are lucky enough to figure out how to make it work really like the machine Most people think it is a waste of money. Using an electronic cutter is a great way to add interest to a cake. It has been a great time saver in my business.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif That's what they get for what they did to Linda!

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 20 Nov 2011 , 2:27pm
post #19 of 19

Just wanted to mention that the Cricut cake is also on the actual cricut website for $49.95 also with free shipping to the states.
Has about used the "Craft Room" program with their cricut?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%