How Much Would You Charge For These??

Business By forheavenscake Updated 13 Nov 2011 , 9:22pm by Annabakescakes

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 2:04am
post #1 of 8

Now I know that pricing is different per region, but generally, how much would you charge for these cupcakes? To give you an idea, I charge $2 for a basic buttercream swirl and nothing else and truthfully, that's a little on the low side. . .then I get lost on what I should charge from there. I am thinking about $3.50 for like a buttercream swirl and one fondant accent (flower, butterfly etc.) But then I get really lost on how to charge for all fondant topped cupcakes like these. . ..(Pictures #13 and #22) with the fondant top and flowers and broaches etc.

http://cottonandcrumbs.co.uk/?p=22

PS. . I LOVE LOVE LOVE this lady's work . .so beautiful!

Thanks everyone!

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 2:19am
post #2 of 8

How long would it take you to make the fondant accent for each cupcake?

forheavenscake Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:19am
post #3 of 8

Well, I have never done fondant work on cupcakes before, so I don't know exactly . . .but based off the cakes I do, I would imagine 10-20 minutes per flower (detailed flowers, roses etc.) then cutting the circles for the tops etc. The small whimsical flowers obviously take much less time with cutters and such.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:49am
post #4 of 8

Assuming negligible ingredient costs, $12/hour in labor, 25% profit margin, and a $2 base cupcake price, this is how I would work out the price with details:

Detailed decoration that takes 20 minutes = $4 cost, $5 premium price, $7 final cupcake price
Detailed decoration that takes 10 minutes = $2 cost, $2.50 premium price, $4.50 final cupcake price
Detailed decoration that takes 5 minutes = $1 cost, $1.25 premium price, $3.25 final cupcake price

Of course this is assuming your base cupcake price also incorporates ingredient costs, labor, overhead, and your profit margin, if not you would need to readjust all your cupcake prices.

forheavenscake Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Jason!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 8

I just have to say I can barely get $1 for a basic cupcake with a swirl here in N.KY, Greater Cincinnati. For those, I would charge $4 each and everyone would laugh at me!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I just have to say I can barely get $1 for a basic cupcake with a swirl here in N.KY, Greater Cincinnati. For those, I would charge $4 each and everyone would laugh at me!

ME TOO! Annabakescakes! I'm in Western Kentucky and if I even TRIED to get $2.00 with fondant icing AND roses tipped in luster dust paint I'd be laughed out of town! LOLOL

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 8

icon_lol.gif They just don't get it! But I do "gourmet" cupcakes for $20 a dozen, but they don't get decorated. I can do 2 dz cc with buttercream roses in 15 minutes and .25 rose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%