Bubble Under My Bc?

Decorating By Bakers_Wife_09 Updated 15 Nov 2011 , 4:26am by royalfrosting

Bakers_Wife_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers_Wife_09 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 6

HELP!! The last 2 cakes I have done I have gotten a big (about the size of a quarter) bubble under my bc the next day. It pokes it out and makes it crack. I can push it back in but it leaves a mark. What am I doing wrong?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 6

Many think its because the cake was not given time to 'settle' and develops gas. I cannot go along with that because I have iced many a cake right from the cooling rack & not had bubbles.

*Most likely* it is because you did not attach the icing well enough to the cake. This is done by smoothing well with a little pressure.
What size was the cake? I bet it was a small round - like 6" or smaller? That is usually where the problem comes in. Those little one tend to scoot when you apply icing with any amount of pressure. Put a non-skid rubber piece under the board to keep it still.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 6

There was a really good thread going on this exact subject not too long ago. It gave lots of differnt ideas and suggestions on how to fix it. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 6
Bakers_Wife_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers_Wife_09 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 6

THANK you SO much!!! This really helps!!

royalfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
royalfrosting Posted 15 Nov 2011 , 4:26am
post #6 of 6

I have found that when this happens to one of my cakes, is when the cake is still damp on the outside,, meaing if i had it covered in plastic,, i did not allow enough time for the cake to dry a bit,, when it is left damp the icing cannot stick to the cake,, it has no support,,, it would be like trying to keep icing on a icecube,, if you freeze your cakes and then ice your cakes,,this will happen to it also,, because the cakes may not be dry on the outside,,,if you also use non-saturated shortening in your icing,, this can sometimes do it too,,, if you ice your cakes then allow them to sit for 2 or 3 days, the icing will pull away (form a bubble),,, also when you have your cake sitting in your car, and the sun is beaming in on it,, it will create a hot spot and this can make the icing bubble too,, my key advice is to allow the cake to dry a bit before you ice it at all,,, hope this might help ya out..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%