Pumpkin Spice Cake Question

Decorating By Sue9069 Updated 15 Oct 2013 , 1:34pm by jclvs2

Sue9069 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue9069 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 26

What kind of icing would you use with a pumpkin spice cake?? Have been thinking about this all day, and can't find something that sounds yummy. Any ideas?? icon_smile.gif

25 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 26

I made a cream cheese frosting and added some cinnamon to it and it was really good. I think it would be just as good without the cinnammon too.

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 26

cream cheese all the way! there's a recipe listed on cc for 'heavenly pumpkin spice cake' (if i remember correctly) that is sooo good and i think it might list a scrumptious pumpkin mousse filling too.
birthday.gif happy caking!

Sue9069 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 26

I won't be able to refrigerate this cake. Will the cream cheese frosting be OK if not refrigerated?

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 26

i make mine with Cinnamon buttercream. im making some this weekend for my grandmothers fundraiser icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 26

Earlene Moore has a Cr Ch b'cream recipe that is good up to a week UNrefrigerated.
It basically is a good b'cream with something like 8 oz of Cr Ch added.....have used it for many years now icon_smile.gif

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 26

wedding cake? layer cake, sheet cake?
something you have to prepare in advance?
room temp in texas is pretty cool right now.
if the heater's not on, and you're preparing it & it's being consumed immediately afterwards, i don't see why it would have to be refrigerated.
know you have to be careful, but cream cheese icing is not THAT perishable is it? the mousse filling would be more perishible, i believe.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 12:01am
post #8 of 26

Earlene Moore's cream cheese icing recipe:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

HTH

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 1:31am
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue9069

I won't be able to refrigerate this cake. Will the cream cheese frosting be OK if not refrigerated?

BlakesCakes made a wonderful suggestion on a cream cheese frosting to use with her doctored red velvet cake recipe:

"I often ice with a 50/50 mixture of homemade buttercream and canned cream cheese icing so that the cake can stay at room temp for long periods.

I tried this and it worked PERFECT! This is now my go-to recipe for cakes/cupcakes that use cream cheese icing but cannot be refrigerated. It is really good.

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 1:36am
post #10 of 26

You could use your regular buttercream recipe and replace the liquid with Pumpkin Spice liquid coffee creamer.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 1:43am
post #11 of 26

Hi all of these recipies sound so good. Has anyone a good pumpkin spice cake recipie. Perhaps one using a cake mix. I have tried one out of a betty crocker book, and I have one from duncan hines using a yellow cake which I find odd because they have a great spice cake? I need one for a 14" tier of a base wedding cake. The rest will be dummy cakes. And then 168 chocolate and white cupcakes. So I would really love this pumpkin spice cake to be great.

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 2:13am
post #12 of 26

I use cinnamon buttercream with my Pumpkin Spice cake. I usually use a caramel filling as well.

As for the recipe; The cake mix doctors' Pumpkin Spice cake is INCREDIBLE! I would highly recommend using that. I used to use a scratch recipe, then came across this and........ I am completely in love! It is my new fav!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 2:20am
post #13 of 26

Last weekend I made this cake here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2198049 and the bottom tier was DeniseNH's Pumpkin Spice Cake http://cakecentral.com/recipes/pumpkin-spice-cake/ Instead of using individual spices, I used 1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice for the cake, then took some of my Vanilla Buttercream and added some pumpkin pie spice (no measurements, just add until it tasted good.) I got more raves over that than any other part of the cake (except for the overall appearance of the cake.) Repeat after me "To Die for"! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Apti Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 2:57am
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Last weekend I made this cake here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2198049 and the bottom tier was DeniseNH's Pumpkin Spice Cake http://cakecentral.com/recipes/pumpkin-spice-cake/ Instead of using individual spices, I used 1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice for the cake, then took some of my Vanilla Buttercream and added some pumpkin pie spice (no measurements, just add until it tasted good.) I got more raves over that than any other part of the cake (except for the overall appearance of the cake.) Repeat after me "To Die for"! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Bob~~I have tried 4 Walmarts and 3 grocery stores and have had no success finding the pumpkin spice instant pudding. I checked online, but don't want to pay $12-30 for a pudding mix I will seldom use. Did you by chance try it WITHOUT that pudding mix BEFORE you made your final recipe? I saw your response on her recipe link and noticed that you purchased a lot of the pudding. Just curious if the pudding is REALLY, REALLY needed? And "Thank You" for telling us it makes 12 cups of batter--that is really helpful. (I hate measuring the batter a recipe produces!)

I'm still stunned by your excellent cake, by the way. Cannot believe that this was your first time doing this sort of cake. Wow......

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:00am
post #15 of 26

I searched the internet high and low and found it here: http://www.shopfoodex.com/jello-instant-pumpkin-spice-pudding-p-35981.html I think I bought 10 boxes of it just to be on the safe side. I think it did add to the overall flavor of the cake. I haven't made it without it, I may try that, but once I had it I used it and it was WELL worth the $$.

Thanks for the support on the chocolate wrap cake!! I was hoping to do the wraps in pure chocolate but it kept tearing and I had to mix it with chocolate fondant -- either way the whole room smelled like chocolate!!! icon_lol.gif

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 3:30am
post #16 of 26

Maple cinnamon buttercream with a cheesecake filling. YUM!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 4:06am
post #17 of 26

Caramel cream cheese filling... homemade caramel with cream cheese added to it... is wickedly good in a spiced pumpkin cake.

Apti Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 6:04am
post #18 of 26

bobwonderbuns~~ok. You convinced me. I just found and ordered 12 (yes 12 boxes) on eBay for $21.24 with free shipping. That comes out to $1.77 a box. I already have everything else in the recipe for the pumpkin spice cake. I'll try your variation using pumpkin pie spice in the cake and frosting. Thanks.

Sue9069 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 1:19pm
post #19 of 26

THANKS for all the replies!!! You guys are way beyond awesome. thumbs_up.gif Bob, LOVE the shower cake. Some day I will get brave.....

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 1:55pm
post #20 of 26

I made a pumpkin spice cake for a friend's fall wedding and used praline pecan buttercream. I added some praline flavoring to my buttercream. For the filling, I made homemade praline pecans , chopped them and stirred into the buttercream. Very rich -but was a real hit!

sleepy20520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy20520 Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 9:00pm
post #21 of 26

i used cream cheese with mine, and then had someone request vanilla buttercream...and i have to say, it was delicious. almost better than c.cheese...

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 2:34am
post #22 of 26

Made Denise's  PUMPKIN SPICE CAKE and would not use any other.   I paired with burnt butter Buttercream.  Rave reviews from everyone, including some professional bakers!

KasandraG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KasandraG Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 3:16pm
post #23 of 26

I always use a Maple frosting with my pumpkin spice cake:)

jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 4:04pm
post #24 of 26

AI have a request from a groom for a Ginger buttercream to top a pumpkin cupcake in Dec. I have not tried i yet. It sounds good but never tasted it . Has anyone here ever tried that flavor combination. Or maybe another suggestion other then adding the powdered ginger to the buttercrean. It's for a wedding and I want it to taste yummy. Thanks

Alaina

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 14 Oct 2013 , 7:02pm
post #25 of 26

I have not made a ginger buttercream but I just made the pumpkin cake, paired with a Cinnamon Cream Cheese Buttercream...since they like everything spicy, I grated a little nutmeg. I don't see why you can't use the ginger...not my fav...but its easy enough to try. IF you don't want to use powdered ginger, check to see if Lorann makes an oil or emulsion that you can use. Hope this helps!

jclvs2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jclvs2 Posted 15 Oct 2013 , 1:34pm
post #26 of 26

AThanks jerseygirlNga. That Cinn-Cream Cheese buttercreme sounds good. I'll have to try that out sometime. but like you said it's easy enough to try the ginger buttercreme. I'll see how it tastes then go from there. Thanks again and happy baking. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%