Did I Handle This Situation Well?

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 6:37pm by Kiddiekakes

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone, I had a customer (I did a cake for her 2 months ago and she's sent me 2 referrals) who is kind of a friend who discussed a birthday cake with me weeks ago. I tracked her down about 3 weeks ago (reluctantly) to find out what she wanted and she said something about maybe (key word is "maybe") a purse with some makeup, etc and she would send me the pics but she couldn't figure out how to email from her iPad, but she would send them when she did. Never heard back, we NEVER discussed price or any details because I DIDN'T ASSUME I KNEW WHAT SHE WANTED. Today is the day of her party and I get a voicemail from her this morning asking when she could pick up her cake. I politely called her back and said we never finalized anything and I never heard back from you so I didn't make the assumption that you wanted ME to be the one to do the cake, especially since I didn't know WHAT to do. She said she assumed (key word is "assumed") that we finalized everything on that last conversation. I told her that's not how I work. I can't make an order like that. She asked for suggestions and I told her she'd have to call around.

I just hope she doesn't spread anything bad about me because I personally don't think I did anything wrong. I told her I can't hunt her down for her business and she agreed it was her fault. She knows a lot of people and I'm just getting started, but if I let her get away with it, I might as well let everyone else too. As you all know, that is a custom cake that requires specifics so please tell me if I handled it properly. TFL

3 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 4

Oh please, I have nothing to offer other than yes, you did fine. Good grief, people are just dumb sometimes.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 4

You know, you went the extra mile when you tracked her down the first time. If she didn't pick up the ball when it was put in her court, then it's her problem. Period.

I only ask once. I e-mail stating that I'm completing my calendar and need to know the firm details. No response or a wishy-washy response and I forget about it all together.

A recent example for me was a cake for "October" that was mentioned to me over 6 months ago. I put a note on my calendar and around Sept. 1, I e-mailed asking for specifics. Response was, "No date, yet, but not Oct."--no other details.
I've "forgotten" about it. Back of the mind = Back of the line. If I get an urgent request now and it doesn't fit into my schedule--well, tough.

I'm a sugar artist, not a mind reader icon_wink.gif
Rae

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 4

Handle what situation...You didn't so anything wrong..If I assumed that every customer who emails me in ant given week for a quote and then calls the day of and expects the cake to be ready with no real conversation about anything etc...Please.....Stupidity....and if she does says nasty things..People will figure out it was her fault..not yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%