Trouble Smoothing Little Dents Or Air Bubble Holes -Fondant

Decorating By Sandylee05 Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 1:04am by Sandylee05

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 5

I haven't done a lot of fondant cakes. I've struggled with getting the fondant from the table to the cake. So, I saw this (what I thought was great) video where they rolled the fondant on lightly greased vinyl. I roll it out and flip the clear vinyl sheet over the cake, and peel the vinyl off the fondant. It seems to work well, but i'm having trouble with little air holes under the fondant. No matter how hard I rub the smoother on the fondant, the dents won't come out. Do I need to also dust the surface with powdered sugar?
I always have trouble picking up the fondant without the vinyl sheet.
What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate your advice and wisdom.

Sandy

4 replies
KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, if you start to see those pock marks, put a bit of powdered sugar between the vinyl and the fondant, continue to roll out and it will help not have them. But as for getting them out once you've put it on the cake, it's probably not happening. I also had that problem when I first started to to use "the mat". Once you've used the vinyl enough, it shouldn't happen anymore.

KateLS Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 5

I'll attach a video for you to see what I mean.........

...I'm having a hard time finding the video.....

I'll post as soon as I find it....

KateLS Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 5

Okay, I think they took the video down...but you put just a bit of powdered sugar on the fondant and wipe it around in a circular motion with your hand to disperse it all over. Again, just a bit, or it won't stick to the vinyl.

I hope this made sense.

Good luck!

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of 5

I hoped that would be the solution. Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%