Attaching Flowerpaste Roses To The Side Of A Fondant Cake?

Decorating By linziloo84 Updated 10 Nov 2011 , 9:37pm by linziloo84

linziloo84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linziloo84 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas how to attach flowers to the side of cakes?
I've tried using dabs of royal icing and they just don't stay the flowers are too heavy!
I'm trying to get them cascading down one corner of a square fondant covered cake?
I've heard of using cocktail sticks/toothpicks but I'm not keen as there wooden.
Anything a bit safer?

This is what I'm going for......

http://www.davidcakes.co.uk/images/cat/pg7/large/MD85D.jpg

Any suggestions?

4 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 5

If you haven't got your flowers on skewers or wires the only thing I can think of to achieve that effect is to start at the bottom by gluing the first flowers with RI, allow them to dry in place, then use that as a sort of step on which to rest the upper flowers using RI to glue the upper flowers to the lower and to the cake in steps. If your bottom flowers are very small and delicate that may not work either.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 5

make GOOP!!!!
I just learned this last weekend at a cake class. Blend piping gel with gumpaste until its all goopy. Use it as a glue. That stuff is amazingly strong!
If the flowers are too heavy, use a pin to hold them in place until they set up, about 5 minutes and the goop should grab them.

Another option if you don't have piping gel handy is white chocolate. Also a very sturdy glue as it hardens. Don't use ganache though, that won't work, I've tried!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 5

I started using candy melts in the color of the flowers, works great!!! icon_biggrin.gif

linziloo84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linziloo84 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone...i'll give these a try icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%