The Taste Of Gumpaste!

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 12 Nov 2011 , 3:57pm by Debbye27

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 11

I have started using gumpaste to add decorations to my cake, but I really think it tastes awful, I was wondering what everyone uses for gumpaste. I have been using the wilton kind that you add water too, I am considering making my own, since my homemade fondant tastes yummy, but it seems like a lot of extra work. What does everyone else do?

10 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 11

I use the Wilton pre-made or, more often than not, just add tylose to my fondant (Satin Ice, FondX, or Wilton).

I rarely use straight gum paste as cake accents, though. It's more often than not a 50/50 mix gum paste & fondant.

It tastes fine.

Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 11

I don,t like the wllton g/p in the can that you add water to. I like the wilton premade in the package. I also like to make Nicholas Lodge recipe. I don,t eat any of it since it dries hard as a brick. Accents on my cakes are made with modeling chocolate or fondant and modeling mixed or just fondant. . hth

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 11

I don't recommend that anyone try to eat gumpaste decorations since they dry so hard...so the taste is kinda irrelevant. It's there for decoration!

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 12:33am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

I don't recommend that anyone try to eat gumpaste decorations since they dry so hard...so the taste is kinda irrelevant. It's there for decoration!

Agreed.

I use Wilton gumpaste or a recipe from Ron Ben-Israel.

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 12:52am
post #6 of 11

[quote="Beckalita"]I don't recommend that anyone try to eat gumpaste decorations since they dry so hard...so the taste is kinda irrelevant. It's there for decoration![/quote

I'm so with you! I don't understand why anyone feels the need to eat gum paste. I cover the board in fondant too, so do you feel compelled to peel it off and eat it?

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should...just sayin'! icon_rolleyes.gif

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 12:55am
post #7 of 11

I use my fondant with tylose powder added to it. Not as good as the fondant alone, but WAY better than wilton's. And my family ALWAYS wants to eat all the decorations, no matter how hard they are. LoL So I just recently started using the tylose powder. I don't think I'll ever go back.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:50am
post #8 of 11

I discovered a while back that some family members were eating gumpaste flowers on the wedding cake I made for my God-Daughter (Castle Cake), in that particular instance, those flowers were commercially made, they could not had a flavor to them. Since then, I've tried Wilton gumpaste that you add water to, didn't like it. This year I started making my gumpaste from scratch with lemon juice just in case family and friends would eat the decorations, believe me they do. I think it is just from curiosity with them that they try to eat it.

Debbye27 Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 11

okay-will definitely start experimenting with modeling chocolate, and pick up some tylose...b/c my fondant tastes good. thanks for all the tips! I was about to start my fall flowers early...I was going to make them all out of gumpaste - for an anniversary cake -so maybe I will make out of the fondant with tylose. Thanks!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 11

It is soooooo easy to make gp using Nic Lodge's recipe: basically all you do is make royal icing using 2# of powdered sugar and add 6 Tabelspoons of Tylose - simple as can beicon_smile.gif You can always knead in extract or candy flavorings to boost the flavor.

Debbye27 Posted 12 Nov 2011 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

I use my fondant with tylose powder added to it. Not as good as the fondant alone, but WAY better than wilton's. And my family ALWAYS wants to eat all the decorations, no matter how hard they are. LoL So I just recently started using the tylose powder. I don't think I'll ever go back.

Do you have to let it sit for several hours after mixing it in?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%