How To Attach Gum Paste Flowers To Fondant??

Decorating By jen3gwi Updated 15 Feb 2016 , 4:31pm by DeniseNH

jen3gwi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen3gwi Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:32am
post #1 of 6

I am currently planning my sisters wedding cake for June, this is my first stab at doing a cake. but I am crafty & I am confident! What I haven't been able to find is how to attach gum paste flowers to a cake iced with fondant. The flowers I am making are simple one piece cherry blossoms made with a cutter, no wires, likely a flat back. Any products or recipes to attach these to the cake? I have spent hours on the web researching all the aspects of this endeavour but can't find this one.

Thank you

Jennifer

5 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

Just a little dot of royal icing on the back of the dried gumpaste flowers will hold them securely to fondant.

elmkb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elmkb Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 6

you can also use "gum glue". Just break up about 1/4 teaspoon of gumpaste into a Tablespoon of water. Let it sit for about an hour until most of the gum paste is dissolved. That's it, it makes a great adhesive for gumpaste!

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 6

I have also used Wilton's Dab'NHold it's good for little things (it has a yellow tinge to it so careful to not use alot) but the best thing for me to adhering all pieces is just melted chocolate, dab a piece in or dab 2 ends stick them together & within seconds it cools & attaches perfectly.  The trick is to not use a glob of it & holding it in place for a second or so so you can feel it take hold.   It would be the same with sugar (isomalt) just dab an end in let it drip excess for a second & stick it on, everything melds together seamlessly & it's all better eating than gum glue I think.

jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 6

Candy Melts!!!!  This works like a dream because you can melt and re-melt, and it dries so quickly.  Just a little dab and I promise your flowers will NOT budge.  

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Feb 2016 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with Jessicake.........white chocolate or candy melts - but if the fondant is stark white, get extra white candy melts.

If you have trouble melting them - add a half teaspoon of Crisco to the melts and stir the half melted candies like crazy.  Add some more Crisco if necessary.  Thins it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%