That Is Not Hot Pink!

Decorating By EnglishCakeLady Updated 11 Nov 2011 , 5:21am by labmom

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:35am
post #1 of 6

Just received a 5lb bucket of Fondarific 'Hot Pink' fondant and, man, that stuff is NOT hot pink! It's more like fluorescent pink and if I was doing an 80s cake, it'd be fine. But I'm doing a baby shower cake and it is NOT fine!

Does anyone have any ideas of what colours I can add to this to make it a nice hot pink? I'll try and add a link to the draft of the cake I'm planning. If it doesn't work, I'm just looking for a darkish hot pink. I can't add the photo to my gallery as it's just a mock-up, not a real cake.

Thank you!

5 replies
MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 6:26am
post #2 of 6

Without seeing the actual end color it is hard to help you but these are my initial thoughts. Consider taking a little piece of the fluorescent pink and mix with a small amount of white to see if you can get it to the color you need. Then you can color to a larger scale.

If it needs to be darker you can use another shade of pink gel such as Americolor's Fuschia. Also, since red and white make pink, you may want to keep some red around to adjust the color tone as well.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 7:03am
post #3 of 6

I'd add a tad of brown actually. HTH

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 11:27am
post #4 of 6

I've found that the Wilton Rose color tones down a neon color very well too.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 6

Ive found that the pre-colored fondant has a very strong color. First, i would take a piece and roll it and let it dry to see what color it dries. Satin ice pink fondant is neon pink when in the bucket but is a nice fuchsia pink when dry. Second, i will play with it adding a little bit of white fondant at a time. you can get really nice shades of deep pink to baby pink that way. I would not add any other colors without trying those two things first.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 5:21am
post #6 of 6

Hi

If you go on the website for global sugar arts and look for the satin ice you will see that there are hot pink and pastel colors ... I found out when I ordered 20 # for a wedding cake... I ordered hot pink Opened the tub *satin ice* and needed sun glasses. very neon. I had to run and buy lots of white fondant and then mix a very small amout of the hot pink into the white till I got the aount and color pink that I needed.

I am suprised about fondarific. I ordered several colors for a teen birthday cake
(purple, orange, pink and blue) and they were so muted that I had to add color to them. In fact the purple almost looked gray. And the orange the color of a baby asprin and the pink very pastel... and the blue.just blah.) I was very disapointed in the colors and the fact that it wasn't very workable. Never will buy that again. Sticking with satin ice.

Good Luck...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%