Question On Freezing Cakes

Decorating By jenniferjo Updated 9 Nov 2011 , 7:02am by JennTheCakeLadie

jenniferjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferjo Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 10

When you freeze a cake will it stick to whatever if is frozen on? I want to freeze 2 half sheets then pick them up when frozen and put side-by-side to make a full sheet. But afraid they will stick to whatever I freeze them on. What is best to freeze them on and will they stick to it? Thanks!!

9 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 10

Wondering why you have to freeze the cake on something. I just lay out saran wrap on the counter and wrap the cake completely with saran wrap, and then foil, there is less air to be traped inside if you use a cake board and then wrap. Then for stability you could put the cake on something and freeze, to keep the cake flat. Not sure about the sticking part, but would guess it would be fine, if you really want to do it that way, just put some saran wrap on the board.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 10

You can put them on their respective boards and then wrap with plastic wrap and then a layer of foil. When they thaw you can flip them off the board if you want to.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 10

I wrap each cake up sran wrap, then stack in freezer sometime with a board in between until frozen to prevent the baked cake from cracking. Also, remember to keep baking soda in your freezer to absorb any smells from other food.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 10

If you freeze them on wax-coated 1/2 sheet boards, they don't stick too much. Just run your cake knife/spatula between the board and cake before removing the cake from the board to make sure it didn't stick.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 10

DO NOT use saran wrap or foil! Use Glad Press N Seal! The others could cause severely misshapen cakes! Wrap the cake then place on a cake board the size of the cake and place in freezer. It won't stick to the board. Works great!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 12:45am
post #7 of 10

Oh wow I have never had a problem with plastic wrap or foil. I just wrap it loosely. I can see where the cake could get misshapen though.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:42am
post #8 of 10

We would freeze cakes in the same full sheet pans they were baked in. I also transferred some and stacked them in one sheet pan (but only if they were chilled in the fridge) before freezing. They would add a sheet of parchment paper between each cake layer. They were triple wrapped with plastic wrap because foil was not used much.

jenniferjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferjo Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 6:59am
post #9 of 10

Thanks all!!

JennTheCakeLadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 7:02am
post #10 of 10

I take my cakes out of the oven and let them cool, in the pans. Then I toss them in the freezer. They keep their shape perfectly. Then I take them out of the pan frozen. Usually a gentle tap will release them from the pan (which was parchment lined) and if they are particularly tricky I hit them with a quick torch for a couple of seconds on the bottom of the pan, and they come right out. Once they are frozen they are quite sturdy and you can cut them, move them, place them, wherever you like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%