Support For Car Cake Help!

Decorating By tizzie Updated 8 Nov 2011 , 6:09pm by jennajane

tizzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tizzie Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 5

ive got to make a cake version of an petrol r/c cake it needs to appear to be standing by its self so far ive cut a cake board to the shape of the car which will hold the cake and then styrofoam will make up the wheels the wheels will be spicked on to plastic dowls which are attached to the bottom board but i dont know how to attach the dowls to the cake boards in the first place or is there a better way? please help ive only got 3 days.

4 replies
Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 5

Could u put the dowels under the cake but on top of the board if that makes since? Would like to see picture I have to do a chevy truck in Jan for a 16th birthday.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:03am
post #3 of 5

Hi, while it's not the same kind of car, I recently made a Mini Cooper (in my gallery). It's carved from cakes baked in loaf pans and the wheels are Ring Dings covered in fondant. (don't know if you have those in UK but it's a store bought snack cake made by Drake). The cake is on a sheet cake decorated like a road. There are no dowels but I also did not have to transport it. The loaf shape of the cakes as a starting point made it very stable though. Good luck!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 5

I'll start by saying I'm not sure I understand the question, but I think you want to know how to raise the car above the main cake board to allow the wheels to hit the car in the proper spot.

If that's the case, then the car will sit on a small cake board, with wheel wells cut out. I will then attach that board to a small cake board (or foam core that will attach to the base cake board. I cover this riser board in black or white fondant, which ever color hides itself the best for the car. This riser board will be shorter than the car cake, both length and width wise. You can adhere it using chocolate or hot glue. This keeps the car part lifted, allowing room for the wheels, which you can skewer into the cake, the riser board, or the main cake board, whichever works best.

At 3 days out I know it's short notice, but try to get your hands on a copy of Mike McCarey's Cakeology Vol 1 DVD. He goes through the steps of making a car cake from start to finish. It is amazing! HTH!

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 5

I think this is a very nice touch for a car cake. I did one recently like this http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2079485

What I did was as mentioned and cut a cake board the size of the car with the wheel wells cut out. I used plexiglass so I was able to raise the back a little by heating and bending the plexiglass. I then put small wood blocks just behind the wheels. I held it all together with ri. I used rice cereal treats covered in fondant for the wheels.

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%