Baking W/organic Eggs & Keeping Chickens?

Decorating By kisamarie Updated 9 Nov 2011 , 12:51am by kisamarie

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 6

I recently bought a dozen eggs at the farmers market, and baked my daughters birthday cake with them. This cake was twice the height of my normal cakes, and the texture was unbelievable! I am actually considering getting some hens and raising them on my property, the eggs are that amazing. Does anyone else here on CC raise their own egg laying hens?

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 6

I don't (I live in an apartment icon_biggrin.gif) but my mother in England has had hens for the last few years. I agree that eggs from chickens whose food YOU control are much better than any others. Those chickens have their regular chicken feed, but they also get raw/cooked vegetable peel (depending on the veg) that would otherwise go in the trash or on the compost heap, and they are let out into my parents garden and eat worms and grubs and stuff too. The have a large hen house with a run, for if they cannot go out in the garden. They get lots of exercise.
I personally use free range eggs in my bakery and my home. I WILL NOT buy eggs from caged birds, due to the cruelty and inferior quality involved. I am a firm believer that when your cake is basically butter, sugar, eggs and flour, the highest quality basic ingredients will lead to an amazing product.
If you have the space to get your own chickens I would recommend it. Do some reading on different breeds, housing, feeding etc. Maybe ask your egg guy at the market what breeds he uses. Go for it!

kisamarie Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 6

Well unfortunately my city says NO to Chickens, Im sooo sad. We will be building a new home out on three acres in the county in the next year so when I get out there, I will be getting those chickens!!!! I've been reading up on them the last few weeks and will continue to do so, that way I will be prepared when the time comes. I guess Ill just have to keep paying 4.50/dozen for now icon_sad.gif

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 12:25am
post #4 of 6

Yes, my flock happily runs around hunting, pecking and disturbing the peace. You will want to look into all things chicken, the most expensive item will be housing them safely. Just about every "varmit" out there wants to eat your chickens!! They are a lot of fun too, lots of drama in the hen house.

Tami icon_smile.gif

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 8 Nov 2011 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 6

Me too, I only back with eggs from free-range hens, and usually from friends farms when possible. I also buy butter from friends farms. I am in the process of buying a farm with the hopes to be able to offer cakes where all eggs and dairy come from my farm. I have been working with honey as a sweetener too, as we can also produce honey on the farm.

kisamarie Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 12:51am
post #6 of 6

That's great Jennajane! I wish I knew someone with dairy cows, I go through butter at an alarming rate! My inlaws used to have cows, they were more like pets, my MIL never understood the concept of Farm animals being used as resources, they were a horrible spoiled herd that were so bossy and a humongous burden because she wouldnt sell them off unless she ran a FBI background check on the would be buyer.
Anyway, thats been my only experience with cattle, but chickens I think would be a wonderful hobby for my little girl to take up, she's two now but by the time we get built and I can get my chickens she should be able to help me with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%