Need Help: Map Of Middle Earth

Decorating By sundowng Updated 9 Nov 2011 , 5:38am by twistedsweets

sundowng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundowng Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 4:26am
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to do a map of middle earth on a 12x18. I can't decide which is the best way to go: fondant or buttercream. With fondant, I could make the map look weathered and more like the image I'm trying to copy. With buttercream (people around here usually prefer buttercream), I could do a FBCT, but I'm not sure if I could get details on there, and I would have to pipe some things on afterwards.

Any other ideas? Which would you do? I have no special toys (i.e. airbrush, copycake, etc.) to make this easier. Here is the image I'm trying to reproduce:

http://lotrovault.ign.com/screenshots/full_res.php?image=http://vnmedia.ign.com/lotrovault.ign.com/fms/images/maps/5/1173850220_fullres.jpg

Thanks for any help and all help!

6 replies
twistedsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsweets Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 5:26am
post #2 of 7

Oh, that is a tough one. I would personal do fondant and paint it. I know how you feel. Most people around here like buttercream because they've never really tried fondant. I just don't think you would be able to make it look right with all buttercream.

Have you thought of doing the main map in buttercream and then making the small details and names out of fondant? That might work good. I've done buttercream cakes with fondant accents before and they turned out really well!

sundowng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundowng Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 5:53am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply! I mostly do buttercream with fondant accents, but I'm wondering how you would paint it, and if you'd have to do it freehand. I'm a little nervous about getting it right. I do have food markers, but would painting work better, do you think? Just wanting to not waste a lot of time redoing!

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 6:44am
post #4 of 7

I would do fondant and airbrush the map colors and handpaint everything else in gel colors mixed with vanilla or vodka, or handpaint with the airbrush colors. Sometimes people who prefer buttercream can get over their dislike of it when you produce an incredible cake, lol. Which I'm sure you will do with this layout!! Good luck!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 7

If you must do all buttercream you could try a frozen BC transfer... just make sure you reverse the image or it'll be backwards... LOL.

What about an edible image? I would do it in fondant with some smaller 3-d fondant accents with hand painting and aribrushing, but you have to do what will work for you.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 7

I would ice the cake in BC and do the map in fondant, there would only be fondant on the top of the cake....and I would paint on the details, if you make a mistake while painting you can usually take a wet paper towel and gently blot/wipe away the mistake, let it dry up a bit and brush with powdered sugar to take the shine out- I'd use gel colors and a paint brush over a food doodler just so it would have that antique, hand drafted feel to it...I'm a huge Tolkien nerd so I would LOVE this cake- to do or to recieve!!

twistedsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsweets Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 5:38am
post #7 of 7

I agree. I would use gel food color and mix it with vanilla or vodka. I prefer vodka myself. It's kind of like painting with watercolors. LOL You know how you have added a little of water to make your colors dark and added more to make them lighter. icon_wink.gif Same concept applies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%