Cakepops: Leftover "melts" Or "bark" (Wi

Baking By FabricGal Updated 7 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm by jgifford

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 8

I never can quite tell how much to chop up for covering however many cakepops I'm doing so I just chop up a bunch of those almond bark squares or I dump a bunch of Mercken's melts (those discs) into a bowl.

Today, I used the "bark" instead of the melts. I find I have a lot of melted chocolate coating leftover. It was a bit thick when melted, so I ended up mixing in about 1/4 tsp of Crisco vegetable shortening. Oh, and after I open Crisco, I always keep it in the fridge.

I made leftover discs on a piece of waxed paper--easier to store that way instead of trying to store a blob.

I know I can remelt the leftovers and use them again, but since I put Crisco in them, and Crisco is kept in the fridge once it's open, do I have to keep the leftover pre-melted bark in the fridge also?

Thanks!

7 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 8

When I have leftover melted chocolate, I stir in some nuts or some other treat into the chocolate, and drop onto waxed paper. Everyone loves the extra treats.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 8

I never store Crisco in the fridge. And I've never had a problem. This type of shortening is purchased by commercial bakeries in 50# cubes and the boxes sit on a shelf until empty.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 8

I never store veg shortening in the fridge - absolutely no need to. And no you do not need to store the chocolate in the fridge. It's better for it not to be that cold. Adding 1/4 teaspoon wouldn't affect the chocolate much anyway.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 4:12am
post #5 of 8
FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 6:52am
post #6 of 8

Thanks, everyone! I knew folks here would know! :O)

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 8

What a great idea for the leftover bark to make them into wafers! Never thought of that!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 7 Nov 2011 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 8

I get almond bark in little trays - - like ice cube trays. I just pour the leftover bark back in the trays.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%