How Do I Do This (Link Attached)

Decorating By cakeyouverymuch Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 11:21am by cakeyouverymuch

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone know how to achieve the net effect on this cake?

http://msdebbie.homestead.com/seashellcakes/slide_show_092_op_640x895.jpg

Is there more to it than simply rolling a square of fondant, making vertical cuts, then opening the cuts as it is draped over the cake?

14 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 15

It could be sugarviel.

victoria7310 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoria7310 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 15

Looks like they used a pastry lattice cutter to me.

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 15

I'd go with pastry lattice cutter too. The cutouts look the same shape as the pattern cut by the Ateco lattice cutter. http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1196&step=4
(link might get deleted but if you google it, you should be able to find it)

cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria7310

Looks like they used a pastry lattice cutter to me.

Your comment triggered a Google search wherein I found this:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0000VLEX6/?tag=cakecentral-20

Never even knew such a tool existed, gotta get me one ASAP.

Thanks so much for the clue. I've love that effect, but always thought it would be too much trouble to cut the slits one by one. The pastry cutter idea will make it easy peasy.

(She says over her shoulder as she grabs her purse and heads out the door to spend more money on caking supplies.)

tarabara Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

(She says over her shoulder as she grabs her purse and heads out the door to spend more money on caking supplies.)

Hee hee. Right? It started with, "$30? That's really cheap for a cake decorating class!" and has turned into an entire closet devoted to cake decorating supplies...and it's overflowing into the rest of the house. How did this happen?? I bookmarked the Ateco lattice cutter...had the same thoughts of getting it myself. Sigh.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 15

(She says shamefacedly) My name is deborahanne and I am a caking addict. My sister got me hooked. I asked her to check the price on a cake pan at Michael's and she decided I needed to be a CAKER, and it was just before Christmas and well. . . .you know. . . . . Then my husband got into the act as an enabler. . . . .bringing home cutters and tools and cake pan sets. . . . .and now I CAN'T STOP MYSELF (Well.. . . . . .maybe I don't actually WANT to stop myself). But here I am supposed to be packing for a move across the country and I'm on CC trying to figure out how someone else completed a certain cake design, and planning to buy more tools that I won't even be able to use for at least a month. I do have my caking stuff packed . . . . 10 BIG boxes with very detailed labels. Of course there is that one box that isn't quite full and if I buy just a couple more tools I'll fill it . . . .

Good thing this isn't an intervention, if it was it would be a complete failure.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 15

FYI.....starting tomorrow. and sorry to hi-jack but Michaels will have bakeware, buy 2 get one
FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST HAD TO THROW THAT IN THIS RING SINCE YOU WERE TAKING ABOUT BEING CAKE ADDICTS. ME TOO

cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 15

The worst of it is that the place I'm moving FROM (Quebec) has no Michael's at all (You can't even sign up on the website if you live in Quebec), so you can't even on-line shop) and I won't reach the place I'm going TO (Manitoba) till the sales are over. Hmmmmm. . . . .maybe its time to call my sister again. lol

tarabara Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 10:04pm
post #10 of 15

Ooh, cakeyouverymuch! I just realized who you are--I LOVE the cakes on your blog!!! (Sorry, I know none of this has to do with the net on the beach cake...but that question has been answered already so maybe I won't get in trouble.) Quebec will be losing a very talented caker but you'll be that much closer to BC (good news for me)! And I have a brother-in-law in Winnipeg--if we ever head out that way I'll have to order one of your cakes! If you have any tips on how to make the fairy and dragon on your most recent posts, I'd love to hear them! (But I understand if you want to keep it a secret.) Happy caking, cake addicts of the world!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabara

Ooh, cakeyouverymuch! I just realized who you are--I LOVE the cakes on your blog!!! (Sorry, I know none of this has to do with the net on the beach cake...but that question has been answered already so maybe I won't get in trouble.) Quebec will be losing a very talented caker but you'll be that much closer to BC (good news for me)! And I have a brother-in-law in Winnipeg--if we ever head out that way I'll have to order one of your cakes! If you have any tips on how to make the fairy and dragon on your most recent posts, I'd love to hear them! (But I understand if you want to keep it a secret.) Happy caking, cake addicts of the world!

Now that my original question was answered I don't have a problem with going off topic, and if I don't complain I don't think the moderators will mind. After I move I may take the time to do a tutorial with pictures on those cake toppers. I will say that they're done in layers. I got the idea from Tompouce here on CC http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2099078 and the first one I did was a copy of that dinosaur http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2108167 . They're quite labor intensive because they involve alot of advance planning to work out the colors and the number of layers and cutting the patterns for the layers. I've only made them as gifts for special people -- nieces, nephews and grand littles -- because I don't think anyone would be willing to pay what they're worth in terms of sweat equity.

tarabara Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 6:31am
post #12 of 15

Thanks for the info, cakeyouverymuch! I would love to see a tutorial on these but it is helpful just to know that they were layered. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try something like this soon. By the way, I think your dino looks even better than the original--you do great work!

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 8:55am
post #13 of 15

Tarabara, I THINK that the technique that cakeyouverymuch has so beautifully executed on her cakes is called "Bas Relief". If you Google "bas relief cakes" you can see several photos of the technique and there may even be a tutorial or two...

cakeyouverymuch Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:36am
post #14 of 15

Knowing what the technique is called (finally) led me to this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1853912212/?tag=cakecentral-20

Guess what just went on my list to Santa?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%