Friday Night Cake Club 11-4-11

Decorating By catlharper Updated 5 Nov 2011 , 6:27am by kisamarie

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:46am
post #1 of 22

Opening up the FNCC! Who is up and what are you working on?

Cat

21 replies
catlharper Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:51am
post #2 of 22

This weekend I'm working on sugar anenomes for a wedding cake that's coming up later in the month. I have a whole bunch that cascade down the cake so I have to get them done so they will be totally dry. Other than that I have our own Anniversary cake to make. We are celebrating 24 years on Monday so I'm going to make our cake Sunday. So not a whole lotta work but still working.

Cat

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:55am
post #3 of 22

Happy Anniversary!!

I finished my Mom's birthday cake today, and had to abandon my idea of a hat box cake..............the lid was a complete failure.

I ended up just putting fondant ruffles and roses on it..........***sigh***
My little dew drops on the roses turned out just fine, thanks to some great ideas here at CC.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 2:56am
post #4 of 22

I had an event with the Dessert Truck tonight Now I'm home and working on a golf themed party cake. Had another cake picked up earlier and one no show. boooooo

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:02am
post #5 of 22

My hat is off to everyone out there that can carve an awesome cake! I have had another complete failure at what I thought would be a very easy puppy. New cake is in the oven right now and I am off to put the finishing touches on a basic birthday cake with a few roses and flowers. Looks like an all nighter for me!

catlharper Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:10am
post #6 of 22

SISA, I had real issues with carved cakes till I learned to carve while the cake was still frozen. Now I freeze the layers seperately and then fill them and start carving while still frozen. Then crumbcoat and let it set up to thaw out for several hours before doing the rest of the process. It was so much easier to carve the frozen cake.

Thanx for the Anniversary wishes. We are part of the fortunate few who are still very happily married after so many years. 3 kids: 2 grown daughters, each with a baby, and one 10 yr old boy. Not doing much celebrating this year because we are planning something big for next year. Also, we are going to Disneyland soon with the entire family so anything we can squirrel away now is good. Thus making a special cake for the day.

Cat

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:25am
post #7 of 22

This Sunday my sister and I are having a joint bday party. My bday was Tuesday and hers is this Monday but now that we are so-called adults we celebrate together. Last year I made us 1 cake that was a 7 layer ganache with tootsie roll and modeling chocolate roses (in my gallery). This year I am making her a giant panda head like her childhood toy and for me a zebra striped cake - inside and out! Baking tonight and icing, fondant, details tomorrow. Also working out the details for a fighter plane cake for midnext week - I don't usually bake midweek so I have to plan my time. Happy Anniversary Cat!

catlharper Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:28am
post #8 of 22

Thanx Teresa! And Happy Birthday to you and your sister! I'll be looking for both cakes over the next week! Also, you are one brave person to be making the plane cake...I know my son would love it but I have to give it some serious structure thought and I'm pretty intimidated.

Cat

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:35am
post #9 of 22

Working on one more Halloween birthday cake for a little guy's first birthday. His parents are Horror movies lovers and have some big horror movie event all weekend long, so they wanted a Halloween birthday cake. Also have my grandson's 2nd birthday on Sunday, made a football and football cupcakes, have to do sugar cookies with the same theme tomorrow. Everything is for Sunday, so I'm going to make frosting, crumb coat and call it a night. Been up since 5am for work. Long week sick with a virus of some kind, kicked my butt!! Hope everyone is staying healthy, too early in the season for all the crud going around. Happy caking!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:38am
post #10 of 22

Cat - for the plane I am planning a simplified (I hope) designed cake on top of a sheet cake (brownie) covered in light blue icing and cotton candy clouds! It's actually my first cake for someone who is not family - one of my employee's sons is turning 8. I am a hobby baker running a different kind of business during the other 7 days of the week! In my mind it's great.....we shall see! Thanks for the birthday wishes!

catlharper Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 3:46am
post #11 of 22

JSK...the crud hit this house pretty hard over the last two weeks. I was fortunate in that it hit me in between work days so I spent my days off recupurating but it took our son out of most of Halloween and the two days after. Yesterday was his first day back to school and he's still no 100% so, yup, it's going around. I have so much work planned over the next two weeks I'm just praying that my turns been taken and I'm free and clear for awhile! Feel better!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 4:19am
post #12 of 22

Hello FNCCrs

I am happily DONE with a big (for me) project.

Tomorrow is the party for my Grandmother's 90th birthday. I did a trio of related but not identical cakes and I'm feeling a little bit like Hannibal from the A-Team "I love it when a plan comes together.

Thanks to my mom & my best friend, I got a lot of kid-free time to work and things came together smoothly. I'm a little worried that the biggest cake has a weeeee bit of a tilt but it depends on how you look at it. It might be an optical illusion if my stripes are not quite straight.

Here are the pics in my gallery:
Tall 2-tier w/floral borders
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2197101

Single tier with Cornelli lace:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2197093

3-tier with swirled roses:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2197086

Happy Anniversary Cat!

Hope everyone stays healthy. So far no crud here in So Cal. We did have a weird heavy rain day but it is supposed to be clear tomorrow.

Kristy

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:09am
post #13 of 22

Just finished making my first batch of homemade vanilla extract. Two batches actually: One with Tahitian beans and the other with Madagascar beans. All fingers crossed, I'll be giving out little bottles of homemade vanilla at Christmas time.
I finished my Elvis figure that goes on a cake due Monday. Lots of baking to do Sunday but now off to bed.

catlharper Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:20am
post #14 of 22

Kristy, that is a busy week for me too! Being all by myself a 3 cake week is way busy! I really like the little flowers with the cornelli! SO feminine!

Cat

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:25am
post #15 of 22

I'm sitting up waiting for a cake to cool. I'm attempting my first full sheet cake for an 80th birthday party on Sunday. Okay...it's actually 2 half sheets pushed together. I'm a little concerned, however, with how I'm going to get the white half next to the chocolate half. I put the board on top of the chocolate and then just flipped it back over on top of the board. I can't flip the white, though, because there's already a chocolate cake on the board. I thought that maybe I could just slide it into place, but now I'm afraid of breaking the cake. Any suggestions?

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:29am
post #16 of 22

Crazy day at work, we were down to 2 people decorated and a LOT of decorated cakes for the day. I did 9 total, 8 with highly decorated.

Best of:

Mums

Giant Cupcake

Totoro

catlharper Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:39am
post #17 of 22

Meg, LOL on the last cake...that's too cute! 9 cakes is insane, even if they are single tier cakes, that's a long day. I'd be exhausted!

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:46am
post #18 of 22

Luckily most of them were final coated the day before so we just plowed through them, but besides a few prep items that's all I did all day.

catlharper Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:55am
post #19 of 22

Time for me to call it a night. Hope everyone has safe deliveries tomorrow. I know rain is called for in many parts of the US, even snow in some parts (!!!) so hopefully all those wedding and celebration cakes make it safe and sound! This girl is headed for bed!

Cat

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 5:56am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsyJ

I'm sitting up waiting for a cake to cool. I'm attempting my first full sheet cake for an 80th birthday party on Sunday. Okay...it's actually 2 half sheets pushed together. I'm a little concerned, however, with how I'm going to get the white half next to the chocolate half. I put the board on top of the chocolate and then just flipped it back over on top of the board. I can't flip the white, though, because there's already a chocolate cake on the board. I thought that maybe I could just slide it into place, but now I'm afraid of breaking the cake. Any suggestions?

I would suggest cooling it. Then lay a long piece of saran wrap onto a 1/2 sheet board and flip it on to that board. Wrap it well and freeze it over night. Tomorrow unwrap it and move it onto the full board while it's still frozen. Let it thaw and then decorate as normal. Hope that helps.

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 6:18am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsyJ

I would suggest cooling it. Then lay a long piece of saran wrap onto a 1/2 sheet board and flip it on to that board. Wrap it well and freeze it over night. Tomorrow unwrap it and move it onto the full board while it's still frozen. Let it thaw and then decorate as normal. Hope that helps.

Thanks Silly...that's a great suggestion!

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 5 Nov 2011 , 6:27am
post #22 of 22

1:25 am and I just finished my baby girls second birthday cake for tomorrow...Sigh....Sniffle. Fairy cake with mushrooms and a tree stump, not too original but I think it will be a big hit tomorrow. Now time for some ZZZZZ's icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%