Anyone Tried Alton Brown's Sugar Cookie Recipe?

Baking By pmarks0 Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 2:57pm by Tails

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone ever tried Alton Brown's Sugar Cookie recipe?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sugar-cookies-recipe/index.html

The comments associated with it indicate that it has very little spread which is great. I really would like a recipe where I can still have pretty sharp edges on my cut out cookies. But there are comments about the recipe being bland and such. I don't mind it not being overly sweet as I usually will ice with a royal icing.

My go-to recipe is below which has a great flavour but I find that it does spread somewhat. The recipe bakes at 400F but I found recently when baking some Halloween cookies that if I baked them at 375F on convection the spreading was minimized but still not sharp edges. Perhaps I'm looking for the proverbial basket of gold under the rainbow and it's impossible to get straight edges. LOL.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/the-best-rolled-sugar-cookies/detail.aspx

I recall in another post reading that if I reduce the baking powder in the recipe I use, that would reduce the spread. I haven't tried that as yet. My recipe, which makes a fair bit of dough, uses 2 tsp of baking powder. I think TexasSugar had mentioned it.

Anyway, any insight would be great!

3 replies
Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 6:54am
post #2 of 4

I havent used that one, but I have used the Aubergine Chef's 123 Cookie Dough which doesnt spread much and uses no baking powder.

Tastes almost like shortbread too! Pics are the ghost and black cat cookies in my photos.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the link! Looks like a good cookie. I have a shortbread recipe, but I find them so fragile that I don't use it for cutouts. I may give yours a try though. And your cookies look great!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 4

Yea mine isnt a shortbread recipe, but it TASTES ALMOST like shortbread omnomnom making some this weekend again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%