Key Lime And Strawberry Cake

Decorating By CakeMama625 Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 10:46pm by Marla84

CakeMama625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMama625 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a strawberry shortcake themed cake for my daughter's party this week. I thought it would LOOK really cute to do 4 alternating layers, 2 key lime cake and 2 strawberry cake. I'm trying to get opinions on if that would taste good together or if the key lime cake would overpower the strawberry flavor. Thanks!

4 replies
aunesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunesty Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 5

It sounds very summery in flavor.... I don't think it will necessarily taste bad together. My concern would be if you make the key lime layers too tart.... perhaps make a few small test batches and make a few test cakes to taste.

I keep thinking instead of layering the flavors, you could do half the cake in strawberry shortcake and half the cake in key lime.... but you wouldn't have the layered effect you are looking for.

JennTheCakeLadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennTheCakeLadie Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 5

I've done many berry/citrus mixes in the past. They do work well together, but like the last person said, be careful not to get the lime too tart, but a little tartness is ok because the sweet from the strawberry offsets it well. What kind of filling are you planning to put between the layers?

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 5

I have done strawberry/ Key lime and raspberry/key lime alternating layer cakes and they were both really good. For a couple of months this summer it was all I had requests for.

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 5

Key Lime is one of my favorite cakes! I think it the flavors go together fine, but (depending on your recipe) you'll probably need to add food coloring to your lime cakes anyway. I use key lime juice, yellow cake mix and lemon pudding in mine, and the cake comes out yellow. If you're worried about the flavors you could just do a white cake with green food coloring for those layers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%