Not Sure What To Do Now...

Business By SweetDreamsBoutique Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 2:10am by sweetminis

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 6

I've been doing cakes/cupcakes for friends and family for almost two years now. Word has definitely been spreading about my cakes, which is awesome...however, my state won't allow cakes to be made from the home unless we have a second commercial kitchen. Long story short, I received a call last week from the dept of agriculture because someone went all the way to the top to report an "unlicensed business". Believe me when I say that it has always been my intention to open a business legally, but with not completely knowing what to do and lack of money, it has been very difficult. (I stay at home with my 3 yr old and my husband takes our one car to work every day so what little money, if any, I bring in has to go to bills). My guess is that the call was made from another bakery, since there were no complaints about my product. The county lady actually told my husband that she was very impressed with my work and they are being very helpful and supportive.

So we looked into converting our garage into a kitchen. Unfortunately, the water dept won't allow that for our house. Then, we looked at renting a kitchen. Not looking so good on that end either. The commercial rental kitchens are far away and cost way more money than I would be bringing in at this point. Our church won't allow it because of their liability. Another option is to get a food truck/food trailer or just bite the bullet and work on getting a store front. I don't even know what to do. I'm so heartbroken about the whole thing. I'm starting a business plan because I'm guessing thats the first real step. But when it comes to getting loans/investors I get really scared. I haven't worked in 3 years, since my son was born, my credit is not great, and neither is my husband's. Our debt to income ratio is much higher than it should be and I fear no one will give us the loan that we would need.

If anyone has any suggestions or maybe has been through a similar situation, I would love to know how it turned out.

5 replies
tiaracakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiaracakes Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 1:15am
post #2 of 6

so sorry to hear about this. Your cakes are really pretty. I hope you find a solution.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 1:31am
post #3 of 6

Sorry to hear as well. Do you think you could go back to your Church again and work something out? If you are using their kitchen you would need to get your own insurance and policy.

Perhaps others who are renting space could comment on the liability of the person who you are renting/using space from.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 6

Have you checked into co-ops or incubators? I was amazed to find out they have them in my state.

sweetminis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetminis Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:10am
post #5 of 6

Georgia has a cottage food law that you should check into.......

sweetminis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetminis Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:10am
post #6 of 6

Georgia has a cottage food law that you should check into.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%