Figuring The Weight Of A Cake

Decorating By ReneeFLL Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 11:49am by Jennifer353

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know if there is a chart with the weight of a cake tier with buttercream and fondant? I have never needed to know the weight of the tiers of a cake until now. I need to find the weights of a 14", 12" and a 10" tier. Hoping there is a caker out there with this knowledge.
TIA

4 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 5

Someone may know an average, as some countries do sell cake by the pound. But I think it varies a lot depending on your recipes, how thin/thick you roll your fondant, etc. Hopefully someone can be more helpful.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

I have never needed to know the weight of the tiers of a cake until now.

Different cake flavors will weigh different amounts. Provided that you aren't making a very dense or heavy cake like carrot cake, etc.,
2 14" layers weigh about 4.75 lbs.
2 12" layers weigh about 3.59 lbs.
2 10" layers weigh about 2.34 lbs.

If you're covering with a full coat of buttercream, you'll use about 17-20 lbs. (less for a crumb coat).

Here's a chart for fondant weights per 2 layer tiers:
http://satinfinefoods.com/product.htm

I'd estimate 33-36.5 lbs. total. HTH.

May I ask why you need the weights at this time?

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

May I ask why you need the weights at this time?

Sure. I am making a wedding cake for a friends daughter in Houston. She is going to carry it on the plane and I don't want it to heavy for her. Each tier will be boxed separately and she will have to stack it on site.

I am using the WASC recipe with a full coat of buttercream and fondant over that. There will be a vanilla, key lime and one or 2 other flavors depending on how many tiers. The decorations will be somewhat simple since each tier will have to "match up" easily.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 11:49am
post #5 of 5

To me it sounds like it should work but this may not can you add up the weight of all of the ingredients and get the weight that way? There are conversion sites that convert weights into cups so Im sure it works the other way too if you dont have the weight of all of the ingredients.
Then weigh the boards, supports, etc add it to the ingredients and you should have the total weight?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%