Home Bakers - Signage

Business By ncsmorris Updated 9 Nov 2011 , 7:40am by scp1127

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 6

For those of you who work from home, I'm wondering if you have any kind of signage advertising your business and, if so, what? Regulations in my county indicate that I can have one sign that can't be larger than a certain size (I can't recall off the of my head) and it has to sit flush against my home. That being said, I don't want something that will look tacky or out of place BUT it would be nice for pickup customers to know they're in the right place AND so that neighbors would know about me - maybe I'd get some business out of it. Thoughts? I do have signage on my car but since that is garage kept, that doesn't really help.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have a sign for a couple of reasons. 1) my home owners association won't allow it. 2) I live on a cul-de-sac so there is no traffic expect people that live on the street. 3) Since everything is made to order I don't want people stopping at my house thinking they can pick up a cupcake or cookie any time they want.

I max out my bookings 60% of the year from my website, free listings on any site I could sign up for, my 1 paid listing on the knot and word of mouth. I just did a giant local bridal show hoping to fill out the rest of my weeks with orders.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

If you do put up a sign you'll also want to make sure you are OK from a municipal zoning perspective, if your town does not allow home-based businesses in your residential zone then putting up a sign advertising your presence is the last thing you want to do.

Including directions on your invoice or your confirmation email should be enough, as long as you also mention that the pickup location is a private residence.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 6

better check into your homeowner's insurance to be sure your policy covers a home business.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 6

cai, those are good points and I'll definitely consider them before making a final decision. I don't have an HOA, thank goodness! So that's one thing not to worry about.

Jason, I have gone through zoning, Dept. of Agriculture, etc. and operate a legal home-based business. Per my county regulations (not in a city/town limit), I am allowed one sign. You make a very good point about mentioning that the pickup location is a residence. I have had only one pickup thus far (most, by far, are delivery) but I'll be sure to include that in any future pickup order instructions.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 7:40am
post #6 of 6

On the contact page of my site, I actually have a photo of the outside of my home so that people will know they are at the correct address. People have a fear of getting it wrong, so I just make it clear. This also keeps me from needing a sign. I also have photos of my license and my insurance policy on the site so that there is no question of licensing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%