Smbc Is Thawing And Looking Wierd - Any Thoughts/advice?

Baking By agouti Updated 1 Nov 2011 , 1:39am by agouti

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 6

I have 24 cupcakes to do for a dinner party tomorrow (to be delivered at 7 a.m. though). The cupcakes are cooling and I made the frosting a couple days ago. It is SMBC. I stored it in the fridge, tightly covered in saran wrap. Now that it is thawing out, it is looking wierd - chunky and wet simultaneously as I piped it onto the first cupcake. Any ideas what is happening? Do I just need to let it thaw longer? This has never happened to me before when I have stored cakes covered in SMBC in the fridge. Am I doing something wrong? Should I just start over with the frosting (I also have to make roses to go on top)?

Thank you in advance!

5 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 6

I think I've heard you need to reconstitute smbc when it's been in the fridge. I think you're supposed to let it come to room temp and re-beat it until smooth, or another option was to melt 1/4 or so in the micro and beat the cold and warm together to make it smooth again... I usually use abc so i'm not too familiar, but i'm pretty sure I remember hearing that in quite a few recipes... sorry, that's all I've got for you... Good luck! I hope you get it worked out!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 6

Let it come to room temperature completely. Then you can even whip it again if you need to.

If you do anything with it cold, it's going to sweat.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 6

I get impatient, and put my bowl over a roaring flame on my stove and melt the crap out of the bottom layer, then put it on the stand mixer with the beater blade full power. Whips back into a soft silky consistency real quick.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 6

Let it come to room temp and then re-beat it on slow with the paddle attachment. It should smooth out and be as good as new!

If it's not getting to room temp as fast as I like (I'm impatient too) I break it into chunks and put it in the oven with the light on. The heat from the light warms it up pretty quickly. I always beat it on the lowest mixer setting because otherwise I get too many air bubbles in mine.

agouti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agouti Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 1:39am
post #6 of 6

thank you. Thank you! THANK YOU! It worked, the cupcakes are done, and they look great (in my not so humble opinion)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%