Need How-To Cupcake Topper

Baking By KMKakes Updated 2 Nov 2011 , 9:27pm by KMKakes

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 7

I love the look of cupcake toppers, especially the ones with decorations on the round base. Are they make with fondant/gumpaste mix, fondant pre made and allowed to dry out prior to placing on the cupcake? I tried to do a search but CC search engine didn't generate the basic how-tos for this. I would love for everything to be edible.

6 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have a link to a pic of something similar to what you're talking about? I don't quite get what you're talking about, not sure what you mean by cupcake toppers and decor on the round base? A visual might help us to help you... icon_smile.gif

KMKakes Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 7

Ok I have been looking through cc gallery for what I am looking for or at least something similar. This is what I found that is close:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1932401

The round fondant part that I was speaking of in the above post was like a base that Dora's or Boots' face would have been placed upon. Meaning Dora's face would have been on some fondant? then that as a whole would have been placed upon the frosting. So imagine cupcake with frosting swirled on top with the fondant decoration in the order I just stated upon it.

I hope this helps as far as a pic!

But my original question is how can I keep the topper tastey and edible but get it to lay flat upon the frosting upon the cupcake? Should the fondant be allowed to stay out to dry or is it better to use fondant/gumpaste mix?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 7

YES! cakeyouverymuch! The links have what I was looking for. One of the links actually said they used fondant gumpaste mix. Will these become tough to eat?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 7

If you want them edible you'd be better off using straight fondant, modelling chocolate, or a fondant modelling chocolate mix. Gum paste is not the tastiest treat but it will harden your fondant if you mix the two together. I might make some candy clay (I use Wilton Candy melts) and mix that with either fondant or gumpaste. If you mix candy clay with gumpaste you will get a modelling product that is sturdy, not too fragile, and better tasting than gumpaste alone. Such a mix was strong enough to make the bird here http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-dan.html . It was easier to work with than gumpaste because it didn't dry out as fast, but once it was shaped it held its shape even though the hall where the party was held was quite hot. And as a bonus it tasted good -- or so I was told.

KMKakes Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 7

Awesome! I will give them a try with this modeling chocolate! thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%