Business Card With A Charity Cake?

Business By Lemmers Updated 4 Nov 2011 , 7:05pm by Lemmers

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 14

Hello all!

My work place is hosting a Bake off contest in aid of Children in Need- all of the cakes entered will then be sold off for the charity. I was just wondering whether you guys feel it would be acceptable to include a business card with the cake- even if it's just under some clingwrap on the cake board, or in the box? Or would this be distasteful?

Any input much appreciated!

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 14

I certainly would - unless the people running the event objected.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 14

I agree...Hand those cards out everytime you get an opportunity..It is free advertising!!Unless of course like kakeladi said..the organizers don't allow it.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 14

Yes, include it.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 14

Definite yes, I leave several cards so people can pick them up if they wish.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 14

Since this is a donation from you there should be no problem letting that fact be known. Also, you can write it off on your taxes as a charitable donation, in which case you definitely should include your card. At least while you take a picture for your tax records.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Also, you can write it off on your taxes as a charitable donation, in which case you definitely should include your card. At least while you take a picture for your tax records.

That's typically how it works in the US, but in the UK there might be different rules for deducting charitable donations.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 14

I just donated to a benefit last weekend, and included a card with the cake. The people hosting said they want people to know who donated items to the dinner and silent auction. HTH

Lemmers Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks very much for your input cakers! I thought it would be ok, but something inside was telling me it's not the done thing!

I will leave some cards then for post-judging (as its a blind judging so they don't know who made each cake). Very excited! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!! I will try to post a pic when done (although it isn't until 17th November).

adam68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adam68 Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 14

I think that is a very good idea! and it will be very good for you to icon_smile.gif

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 2 Nov 2011 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 14

I donate cakes a few times a year and I always attach a magnetic business card to the box top. That way the person who wins the cake from the raffle knows it was made by me, and if they enjoy it hopefully they will call me next time they need a cake.

Not tacky at all. I find it very appropriate, it is good to know who made the food you're going to eat. I also attach an ingredient list because there are lots of allergies out there today.

Attach your business card to the top of the box, either on the inside or the outside.

mistercakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistercakemaker Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 1:37am
post #12 of 14

I don't see a problem with leaving business cards.
Everyone does that it is almost expected.
I usually make my business cards for free online.
It is convenient when you need some quick cards.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 2:13am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGF

Not tacky at all. I find it very appropriate, it is good to know who made the food you're going to eat. I also attach an ingredient list because there are lots of allergies out there today.

I am a hobby baker, but I had some very inexpensive cards printed up that give my hobby website AND a statement that says, "This product may contain egg, wheat, soy, coconut, and/or nut products". I got the idea to do this from CakeCentral.

Lemmers Posted 4 Nov 2011 , 7:05pm
post #14 of 14

Ooh thats a very good point- I think I'll have to print something up with an allergy warning to attach to the box! So glad some of you mentioned that!

Thanks again for all your help everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%