Please Help!!!! Fondant On Wilton 3D Teddy Bear Cake!

Decorating By Cutie4life900 Updated 1 Nov 2011 , 11:10pm by mommynana

Cutie4life900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cutie4life900 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 4:50am
post #1 of 8

MnPlease help. Im doing the wilton stand up teddy bear cake for the first.time, and im doing it as a pumpkin bear, and this is the first time im using fondant, and I rolled.it in logs like it said, and tried to cover the bears tummy in orange logs of fondant with a thin layer of frosting under it, and they kept slippibg down and coming off, what am I doing wrong? I took it all off, and wiped the frosting off, and have the bear on the porch keeping it cool.
Please help, need bear done by halloween 2 days!

Heres what its supposed to look like with the fondant logs
http://www.wilton.com/idea/No-Applause-Just-Throw-Candy icon_redface.gif

7 replies
kimebarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimebarnes Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 5:21am
post #2 of 8

sounds like they were to heavy, maybe roll them a little thinner. was your buttercream underneath to crusted? maybe brush with piping gel or a little water to help stick. good luck

Cutie4life900 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 8

No the frosting hasn't crusted it was still wet. After the fondant fell I wiped the frosting off the bear, and kept it cool overnight. I will use piping gel a dab at the top and a dab at the bottom and hopefully it will stay!

Another question, I know you arn't supposed to refridgerate fondant, but why not? I like keeping them cold, so the rest of the frosting hardens, and im worried when someone turns the heat on in the house, the frosting will melt and look terrible, so can I keep it in the fridge, or on the COLD porch? What will happen to it?

MrsL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsL Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 8

I think the main issue with fondant being refrigerated is condensation forming on the surface of the fondant. I put a fondant cake in the fridge last night and saw a few tiny drops of water but nothing major. (I used homemade MM fondant)

Cutie4life900 Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 1:49am
post #5 of 8

What happends with the condensation, can u wipe it away, or take it off somehow without it looking terrible? Id much rather refridgerate it if I can.

kimebarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimebarnes Posted 31 Oct 2011 , 2:01am
post #6 of 8

i have heard you just take the fondant cake out and don't touch till it comes to room temp just let in condensation air dry which makes sense when fondant is wet it is sticky so in theory if you just let it air dry to room temp it will be fine. can you do a small fondant cupcake or something and refrig to see how it works

Cutie4life900 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you, I .will try that. I ordered a few samples from fondarific, and it's real.soft, and tastes good, but it leaves my fingerprints in the logs., was.i.supposed to let it dry first? It didn't turn out so pretty, kinda dull looking. :/ ohwell it was my first time. :/

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 8

I put fondant cakes in the fridge all the time, And they are fine, If it dose sweat just leave it alone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%