Two Questions From Newbie...

Decorating By New2Cakes0810 Updated 30 Oct 2011 , 2:25am by KatsSuiteCakes

New2Cakes0810 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
New2Cakes0810 Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:11am
post #1 of 3

Hi,
I am new to cakes but am loving it! I have been reading in silence for quite some time; now I have two unrelated questions for you all:
1) I don't do cake pops but am asking for a friend: How can you prevent cake pops from falling off when dipping? She already pre-coats the stick with chocolate.
2) I am working on a convertible car cake and would like suggestions for making the windshield
Thanks!

2 replies
luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:23am
post #2 of 3

Welcome, caking is addictive isn't it?

1. You say she dips the stick in chocolate..I freeze my cake balls for 10 or 15 minutes then dip the stick in the melted chocolate and insert it into the frozen cake ball. I wait for it to harden and then I use a spoon to scoop up the chocolate and roll the cake ball through it to coat. Seems to work for me, hopefully others will share ideas too.

2. I would use corn syrup and sugar heated to hard crack stage then poured into shaped non stick foil. You would shape the foil to the size and shape you want the windshield.. then you can apply it to the cake.. again, just my idea, best of luck and have fun!

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 30 Oct 2011 , 2:25am
post #3 of 3

Hi there,

On the Cake Pop issue, she needs to be sure that there is enough icing mixed in with the cake crumbles to hold a good shape. In addition, the cake pops might be too big, which will make them heavy and difficult to manage while dipping. I use approximately 1 1/2 TBS per pop, and I also stick them in my fridge after inserting the dipped stick to make sure it's nice and solid.

I always add a couple of tablespoons of Crisco to my melted chocolate to make it easier to dip. If the chocolate is too thick, the cake pop will fight back by falling off the stick................

When dipping the pop, make sure they're not too cold, or the chocolate will crack.

HTH
Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%