Making A Cake With A Slice Missing?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 3 Nov 2011 , 10:41am by costumeczar

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making a pie cake next week (meat pie, not cherry pie) and want to do it with a slice missing. My main question is, do you cover the "pie" in fondant first and then cut a slice away and then cover the exposed part of cake, or do I cut a slice out of the bare cake and then cover in fondant and try to work around it? And what would be the best way to make it look like the filling were coming out of it? Just make a few bits out of gumpaste and pile them up? (its a sweeney Todd themed pie lol)

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 8

That will be gross but excellent..I'd cut the piece out first, then cover the whole thing. I guess you could cover the whole thing first then recover the cutout part, but you'd be dealing with extra seams that you'd have to cover.

Actually, you could cut the piece out, then cover the cutout part with a piece of modelling chocolate or fondant with some tylose in it to stiffen it up, then cover the entire cake over that. Trim the fondant around the piece that was missing. That way you'd be able to make it look like the icing was cut and the inside part of it was under the cut fondant. Does that make sense?

jennifercullen Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 10:06am
post #3 of 8

Oh yes I see what you mean! thanks, I'll try that! hope it turns out ok. thanks a lot icon_biggrin.gif

Jenny

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 8

I can't wait to see this cake! I am a BIG fan of Sweeney Todd. icon_biggrin.gif Well, actually more of a fan of Johnny Depp. icon_wink.gif

jennifercullen Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 8

Lol well I'm not a brilliant decorator so please don't expect too much! You've made me more nervous now haha. I love sweeney Todd too. Johnny depp, Helena bonham carter and Tim Burton=brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

Lol well I'm not a brilliant decorator so please don't expect too much! You've made me more nervous now haha. I love sweeney Todd too. Johnny depp, Helena bonham carter and Tim Burton=brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

Don't forget Danny Elfman for the music! I would go to see anything Depp, Elfman and Burton are involved with. It's guaranteed to be wacko.

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 12:28am
post #7 of 8

I'm with you anything with Johnny Depp but I wasn't crazy about Sweeny Todd icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Posted 3 Nov 2011 , 10:41am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPODN

I'm with you anything with Johnny Depp but I wasn't crazy about Sweeny Todd icon_rolleyes.gif

I loved Sweeney Todd, but it was definitely out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%