Swiss Meringue Buttercream Question!

Baking By lorie09 Updated 1 Nov 2011 , 10:29am by labmom

lorie09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorie09 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 12

I'm going to make chocolate cupcakes, filled with chocolate cream cheese frosting and decorate the outside using swiss meringue buttercream. I want to use SMBC to decorate only because i'm afraid that the cream cheese frosting will not hold. I'm planning to do sesame street cupcakes.

My question is.. would SMBC and chocolate cream frosting taste good together?
Thanks!

11 replies
dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 12

In my opinion, there is no flavor that will not taste good with SMBC. I love the stuff.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 12

What flavor will your SMBC be?

lorie09 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the replies! I will not be adding any flavour to the SMBC, it will be plain as is.

MyDiwa Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorie09

I will not be adding any flavour to the SMBC, it will be plain as is.

Nothing at all, or do you mean "plain vanilla"? If you mean vanilla then I think that would work.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 12

I am hoping that you will be using vanilla flavoring. If not, it will only taste like a stick of butter. I,m a little confused at you saying it will be as is. hth

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:12am
post #7 of 12

I eat SMBC without any flavorings, and I freakin love that stuff. It definitely doesn't taste like straight butter to me. I prefer it without flavorings actually, but do use them for different people. I could eat a whole bowl right after it's mixed.

lorie09 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 11:53am
post #8 of 12

Yes, it will be vanilla SMBC.

MyDiwa Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:07pm
post #9 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:13pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieB

I eat SMBC without any flavorings, and I freakin love that stuff. It definitely doesn't taste like straight butter to me. I prefer it without flavorings actually, but do use them for different people. I could eat a whole bowl right after it's mixed.

I do the same thing and feel the same way. I guess it depends on the % of butter and sugar people are using in their recipe.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 9:52am
post #11 of 12

I do cupcakes professionally and all I use is SMBC. I use it plain, and with flavorings and additives. The reason I like it so well, is because it "takes the flavor" you are using very well. Butter just loves to absorb flavors, and that is what does when it is mixed with any flavoring

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 10:29am
post #12 of 12

Does anyone have a good recipie for smbc? I have heard good and bad about it and all the different problems with it. Is there a tutorial or special instructions for it? I would like to try it over the holidays good time to buy butter when it is on sale for the holidays.
feel free to pm me if necessary.
thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%