Decoration ?? - Spider Web

Baking By Sheri_e Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 9:18am by doramoreno62

Sheri_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sheri_e Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make halloween cookies this weekend for my kids' class. I am just making a sugar cookie, white icing, and want to put a web in the middle. I was thinking about just using a chocolate bar for the web, will that work? Will it have to be tempered, or just melt like a am covering? Also...if i add black food coloring to it will that work?

5 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 6

Adding a water based food color to chocolate will cause it to seize (it will turn into a lumpy mess!) If there is a craft store by you that carries Wilton CandyMelts, they make black ones for Halloween. An even easier way to go would be to ice your cookies and let them dry completely. Use a black food color pen to draw on the web, plus a spider!

Sheri_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sheri_e Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 6

Thats a good idea, thanks. I try to avoid the candy melts, i am not a fan of the way they taste. (I think i am the only one that feels that way though lol).

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 6

You could mix some chocolate chips into the black CandyMelts. It would improve the flavor but still give you a nice dark color for your webs.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 6:12am
post #5 of 6

how about making different colour RI and piping circles onto the filled cookie, and then dragging a toothpick through it in parts to make a marbled web effect? icon_smile.gif

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 9:18am
post #6 of 6

You can also use regular store bought frosting like Betty crocker in chocolate and add liquid or paste food coloring to it to make it black. It will not seize. Just microwave it for about 10-15 seconds and that will make it loose enough so you can drag a toothpick and make your web. Hope that helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%