Need Help... Darth Vader/hello Kitty Cake

Decorating By nana2me Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 12:46am by Ursula40

nana2me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana2me Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:23am
post #1 of 8

So this might turn into a mini vent and I totally brought it on myself (mental note: grow a backbone).

I am making my nieces birthday cake next month. I have started charging family recently because all the cake ingredients do not fit in my budget every month so I needed some help (I have a big family and making all those cakes was great practice but not practical for my wallet). Well my sister still thinks she should be exempt from paying even though they can afford a nice cake, they just don't want to pay for it. Anyways long story sort of short: I am making Hello Kitty using the wilton cake pan (I did tell her to go buy it for me because I am not paying for a pan I will use once). This Sunday she informed me that my niece now wants a "Darth Kitty," basically it's Hello Kitty as Darth Vader. I want to tell her no way because I absolutely hate making black and I know she won't pay me for it but I am going to make it anyways because I am too nice.

Anyways I need help figuring out how to do the Darth Vader face on Hello Kitty. I thought about using extra cake pieces to build up the edge of the helmet and the face mask, would this work okay. Also is there an easy way to make black (did I mention how much I hate making black)?

Thanks so much everyone!

7 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:37am
post #2 of 8

I buy black fondant, PERIOD. MAKE YOUR SISTER BUY IT!!!! Did that help you grow a back bone? icon_biggrin.gif

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 8

I agree -- make sis buy the pre-colored black fondant.

But how the heck can you possibly have a Darth Vader Hello Kitty? Darth Vader's helmet COMPLETELY covers his head and face. So where will Hello Kitty be? I guess you could put the little pink flower (or bow) on Darth's helmet! LOL And what was the point of getting the pan if she now wants Darth Vader? I'd just tell her "no can do" and stick with Hello Kitty. Save yourself the headache.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:04am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmo

But how the heck can you possibly have a Darth Vader Hello Kitty? Darth Vader's helmet COMPLETELY covers his head and face. So where will Hello Kitty be? I guess you could put the little pink flower (or bow) on Darth's helmet!

Hello Kitty meets Star Wars characters:

http://www.farpointforums.com/showthread.php?page=3&tid=2346
(Scroll down to Darth.)

http://stickershopping.com/shoppingcart/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=204&osCsid=i4np1cf407nbklspt83s5h21i4

http://www.psfk.com/2010/06/when-hello-kitty-met-darth-vader.html

HTH

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:30am
post #5 of 8

Ok I gotta admit Kitty vadar is cute lol.
Sorry that does suck a lot. If you aren't going to use fondant (if you do it at all and im not sure you should) then maybe tell her that black BC will leave everyones mouth all sorts of fun colours. NOT so pretty.

hmmm or maybe don't tell her and make sure she gets a big piece with lots of black...hehehe evil.

On a side note.. what is with little girls and Darth Vadar? I am doing a Darth Vadar cake for a 4 year old girl this weekend. When I started searching for design ideas I looked for "girly versions" thinking there wouldnt be any and SUPRISE there are a very. ONe of Darth riding my little pony was my fav. haha

nana2me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana2me Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I especially love the pictures JanH, they are a great inspiration for this darth kitty cake icon_smile.gif. I am not too surprised with both the hello kitty and darth vader pick (although both together kind of threw me off), her dad is a big (BIG) star wars geek and it has rubbed off on her and she absolutely adores hello kitty.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

OMGosh!!! I just got a great big belly laugh from this one...I had no idea that they had actually crossed hello kitty with Darth Vader!! (I have all teen age boys in my house - that must be why). While they are kinda cute (I checked out the links by JanH), it still made me LOL!!! I think that I was having more trouble envisioning it than the OP was!
Thanks guys for the pick-me-up this morning!!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 12:46am
post #8 of 8

At least you won't have to worry about black icing, crossing hello Kitty with Darth vader turns them both pink

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%