Need Idea/suggestion For Fall Wedding Shower

Decorating By enchantedcreations Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 2:11pm by Mexx

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #1 of 15

Hello List,

I need some ideas/suggestions for a wedding shower. Bride hates chocolate and the Mother of the Bride says no fondant. The theme is Fall but that's all I have to go on! The friends of the Bride are throwing the shower..... MOB doesn't have any other details. She says throws some apples or leaves in there if I want???

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm drawing a blank right now. I'm not looking foward to an all buttercream cake but I guess that's what I'm stuck with. LOL

TIA

14 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:44am
post #2 of 15

I'm doing one this week and it's a tree stump with the "carved" heart and their initials. I'm covering with chocolate ganache, but if she hates chocolate, you can use regular buttercream and just tint it brown.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:45am
post #3 of 15

Can you do fall leaves and apples cascading on the cake in fondant or gumpaste since they will be removed before cutting? If not, consider making butter cookies shaped like leaves, dip in coating chocolate or use royal icing, pipe leaf veins on them and place on top or the sides of the cake.

Another option is using marzipan to make leaves and apples. Not good for those with nut allergies though.

Good luck!

enchantedcreations Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:55am
post #4 of 15

The tree stump is a good idea; I like that one. I also never thought about Marizpan. I'll email the MOB and ask about the allergies. I tried to get her to agree to the fondant accents, but she poo'ed poo'ed that. She wants all butter cream, which is okay, I think it's easier and prettier to make fondant accents though, just my choice of medium. When she told me "fall" I immediate thought of nice red apples and colored leaves in fondant, so I need to change my mind set. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 3:04am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

The tree stump is a good idea; I like that one. I also never thought about Marizpan. I'll email the MOB and ask about the allergies. I tried to get her to agree to the fondant accents, but she poo'ed poo'ed that. She wants all butter cream, which is okay, I think it's easier and prettier to make fondant accents though, just my choice of medium. When she told me "fall" I immediate thought of nice red apples and colored leaves in fondant, so I need to change my mind set. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate them.

You are very welcome!

Another thought I had was making leaves from coating chocolate alone. You could pour them into plastic molds or cookie cutters and use luster dust to add details?

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 15

I did a cake for a couple...theme was "perfect pair"...found a gorgeous pic of two pears side by side and did an edible image...cake flavors are awesome for fall, pear, apple, pumpkin, spice...then I found a chocolate pear mold and did favors of those wrapped in a lime green and yellow foil in little cello bags...table decorations were done by mother of the bride..she bought large glass jars in the shape of pears (cookie jars) and filled with lemon slices/oranges/pears, absolutely gorgeous.

enchantedcreations Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

I did a cake for a couple...theme was "perfect pair"...found a gorgeous pic of two pears side by side and did an edible image...cake flavors are awesome for fall, pear, apple, pumpkin, spice...then I found a chocolate pear mold and did favors of those wrapped in a lime green and yellow foil in little cello bags...table decorations were done by mother of the bride..she bought large glass jars in the shape of pears (cookie jars) and filled with lemon slices/oranges/pears, absolutely gorgeous.

This sounds really nice, do you have a picture?

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 12:21pm
post #8 of 15

You can also take real leaves, wash them and let them dry and then paint them with melted chocolate. If you use white chocolate you can add some painted colour to them after (or colour your chocolate at the outset). Once the chocolate has set, carefully peel off the real leaf and you're left with your chocolate version. Make sure to use the back side of the real leaf when you start because the veining is usually more pronounced on that side so your chocolate version will look more authentic.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 15

Not sure if I saved it but will look for you. My son googled images of pears and found the photo for me....

enchantedcreations Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 12:29pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLady

Not sure if I saved it but will look for you. My son googled images of pears and found the photo for me....

Thanks, but please don't go to any trouble. Just wanted to see what you did. Trying to wrap my tried brain around something. I was up most of the night working on another cake that I wasn't real happy with. The person who ordered told me to do whatever I wanted but then gave me a very minimial budget....grrrrrrr (I should have said "forget it" but I didn't. I'm excited to do this one. I was thinking maybe sunflowers. But with responses I've gotten, I have some really good ideas to work with now.

Thanks...........

JJGITA76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JJGITA76 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 15
enchantedcreations Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGITA76

http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/weddings/cakes-catering/wedding-cakes-season-00000000009680/page4.html think this is gorgeus painted leaves in autumn colors on buttercream

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Thanks

Cake People Rock!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:42pm
post #13 of 15

This past week I did a fall themed birthday cake and on the sides I decided to do some random scrolls in white, but then I mixed in a few leaf outlines. It looked beautiful and elegant, but also seasonal.

enchantedcreations Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:08pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

This past week I did a fall themed birthday cake and on the sides I decided to do some random scrolls in white, but then I mixed in a few leaf outlines. It looked beautiful and elegant, but also seasonal.

I was just looking at your cake galary and I like your "spring cake". I think perhaps something along those lines but with the Sunflowers in gumpaste. The Sunflowers are such big flowers, they'll need the support of the gumpaste to hold. If I'm incorrect, someone speak up...... I don't do any flowers in butter cream so I'm at a loss here. The MOB said no fondant, but I think in this case, she'll just have to deal with the gumpaste. It's my neighbor, so it's not a deal breaker and I'm not making any $$ on it either. I think once she sees it, it'll speak for it's self.

I can't do the frosting in chocolate, it has to be vanilla, but I could tint it. Maybe a very pale orange. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
TIA

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:11pm
post #15 of 15

I'm also working on a cake with gerber daisies on it which I'm doing in fall colours - dark reds, purples, golds, orange. Gerbers are not as large as the sunflowers so you won't have the same issues with supporting them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%