Is Choco Wasc Too Soft For Tiered Cakes

Decorating By karukaru Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 2:42am by BlakesCakes

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:38am
post #1 of 4

Hi!
I just baked a chocolate WASC with the devils food cake mix and it seemed too soft to be stacked. I need to do a 3 tiered cake and I wanted to try this recipe and another from the cake bible. Each tier is supposed to be half chocolate and half vanilla with raspberry filling. The cake is still warm but it seems too soft to stack it. I also made cupcakes and the cupcakes r also soft. I think I have seen stacked cakes that are chocolate WASC around here so I am wondering how stable it is. Thanks in advance![/u][/quote]

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:05am
post #2 of 4

No cake is too soft to be stacked because it's the support system that holds up all of the weight, not the cake itself.

The saying around here goes that with the right support, you can stack jello.

I use WASC based recipes for all of my cakes and have no issues when
stacking.
Rae

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:36am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

No cake is too soft to be stacked because it's the support system that holds up all of the weight, not the cake itself.

The saying around here goes that with the right support, you can stack jello.

I use WASC based recipes for all of my cakes and have no issues when
stacking.
Rae

LOL thank you!
I did read something in one of rose levy berambaum book that she once did a stacked cheesecake. I am glad I can use it then. I have stacked regular WASC without a problem. I stacked it with dowel rods. How would you stack it?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 4

I no longer use wooden dowels. I prefer bubble tea straws or the Wilton hollow plastic dowels---about 1 per 2" of cake diameter.

For tall cakes, or cakes that have to travel a long distance, I put 1 or 2 full length sharpened wooden dowels--1/4th inch in diameter-- all the way thru the cakes and into the decorative cake board.

I cut all of my cake boards from foamcore--3/16th inch for cake tiers, 1/2 inch for decorative bases.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%