Betty Crocker Cake Mix Change!!

Lounge By pattycakes1976 Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 2:39am by Cakeopoly

pattycakes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes1976 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 5

FYI: I just bought some new Betty Crocker cake mixes. Thankfully, I still had some older boxes or I would not have caught the change (like a lot of us who use them regularly, I have the amounts of eggs, oil & water memorized). I noticed the new boxes were a different size from my old one..so I started checking it over....surprise, surprise!! They are not the same size! The older box was slightly over 18oz..the newer ones are slightly over 15oz. The water amounts used are different. I am not yet sure how this will change amounts needed for wedding cake pans, etc...nor am I sure how it will affect old recipes using the bigger box size. Maybe if enough bakers call and complain they will fix this. While I understand the need to adjust costs due to the economy, personally, I would rather have the same size box and pay a little more than have to do the math on all my recipes!!

4 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 5

AAHH good ol company cutbacks. They were hoping your wouldn't notice. I don't think complaining will help. I'm sure they already have a list of excuses and reasons for the change and how it is better this way. What ever, I guess it is us who have to adjust, as usual. Good Eye.

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 5
cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah, it happened a couple months ago. There was a post on it back then, but I'm not really sure in which forum. Either way, I am not happy with Betty! I prefer DH chocolate cake so always buy that anyways, but their yellow cake just doesn't rise as well and it's way too dense. So I always use Betty for yellow or white. The oil has increased too. At first I was mad because like you, I would rather them just increase the price and keep the product the same. Well, not even a month later my local walmart increased the price too!! So we are hit from both ends! BC was 1.14 at my Walmart, and they increased it to 1.25. This was not an all around cake mix price increase because DH has always been 1.25 and it still is. So I am just trying to avoid buying BC if at all possible. I've started using Pillsbury for yellow and white cake and it's not bad at all. Sometimes I still buy the BC golden vanilla because it's my favorite to use for yellow cake, but I'm not happy about it at all.

Cakeopoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeopoly Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:39am
post #5 of 5

My recipe using a boxed cake mix used to make exactly 24 cupcakes, and now it makes exactly 23 icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%