Glitter On Fondant

Decorating By AMACakes Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm by Shannon1129

AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 6

How should I put the edible glitter on the fondant? With a sprayer filled with vodka or sugar water?

And I assume that I should do this before I put the fondant on the cakes?

HELP.

Picture attached.
http://katieweb.net/?p=38

5 replies
rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 6

I dont think that is glitter on that cake, I think it is some kind of sugar crystals or something like that. The glitter that i use is much finer than that and I use vodka. I cover the cake, brush lightly with vodka and then sprinkle glitter and its fine. This however looks much bigger and heavier than glitter.

katgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katgal Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 6

It's not glitter, it's sanding sugar. You can spray your fondant with a little water, or brush with corn syrup mixture. Then, you just press the sugar on the cake with your hand. You will have a lot of it fall of during this process, but just scoop it back up and re-use.

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 6

I also think that cake is covered in sugar crystals.. Not glitter. Theres a Wilton book with the very technique and the directions call for just painting the cake with piping gel, then covering it with the sugar!

AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

I am making it for a friend's daughter's baptism this weekend.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 6

I would paint with piping gel and then use your hand. I always like to put a piece of parchment paper underneath so you can then take the paper and funnel the excess back in your container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%