New Scratch Cake Baker, Will Take All Advice!

Baking By Abbas_child Updated 26 Oct 2011 , 6:24pm by Wildgirl

Abbas_child Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbas_child Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 11:42am
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone! I just found this site, and am so excited! I'm Ellie, I'm OLD (seriously, been married 32 years), and have 6 wonderful kiddos, 5 of whom still live home. (2 teenagers, 2 college students, and one soon to be married daughter).

I've always used cake mixes, just like Mom, and my 16 yo daughter (the cooking show addict) is encouraging me to branch out, which I like, as I tend to be a scratch cook. I can make a decent pound cake, and brownies and other scratch desserts, but my first chocolate scratch cake produced layers about 1/2 inch high. *sigh*
I used very fresh ingredients, cake flour, I do cookies ALL the time, so I get the importance of creaming butter/sugar. Maybe it was that particular recipe? But now I'm gun-shy and nervous.

So- taking all comers! Any advice or good recipes (choc cake, yellow, white, anything at all) is so welcome.

Thanks in advance, and it's nice to "meet" you! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 9

Hi, and welcome!

I suggest you spend some time browsing the forums for threads related to scratch baking. There is so many wonderful recipes and so much fantastic advice all ready and waiting for you right here!

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 9

Welcome to Cake Central and the world of scratch baking!

It's hard to say whether something went wrong or the recipe would yield such a low rising cake without seeing the recipe and instructions. However, there are many recipes here that members have rated so start with those.

Happy baking!

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 9

Hi and welcome. Everyone here is fab and searching the forums will bring you back and abundance of information. We dont have really good box mixes here in the UK, so I only bake from scratch. I tried dozens of different recipes before i found one that I really liked, and its all a matter of personal preference, isnt it. Good luck!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 9

Welcome to CC. I recently purchased Professional Baking by Wayne Gisslen (best price was on Amazon). It is a pastry school text book and explains the science of baking as well as provides recipes and teaches different mixing methods. It covers all baking, and I love the cake chapter. I've gotten so many compliments on the cakes I've made using this book.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 9

I was going to sugest the same as bonniebakes.

If you join those scratch discussions, we will help you through the process on the recipe we are discussing. It may not be a flavor you need asap, but you can't beat 50 teachers in one spot... for free! You are sure to learn method.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 9

I recommend WACKY CAKE!! Seriously this cake is now my go-to chocolate cake!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/wacky-cake-2/ icon_biggrin.gif nomnomnom!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 9

I recommend WACKY CAKE!! Seriously this cake is now my go-to chocolate cake!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/wacky-cake-2/ icon_biggrin.gif nomnomnom!

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 9

You will love it here - such a wealth of information and advice! I like to do searches - it seems to work well to go to google, type in your search, and add "cake central" to it to find great threads!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%