So Upset! Customer Found A Hair In The Cake!

Decorating By nicunurse Updated 5 Jul 2014 , 7:32pm by MBalaska

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 8:55am
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyascanbee

or you can tie it to the back into a tight pony tail.. Those people in Food Networl challenge do not wear head gears.. their hair is just flowing or just tucked in.

According to this article, the cakes aren't always eaten but may be tossed into the dumpster:

http://preschoolers.about.com/b/2009/07/26/food-network-challenge-features-sesame-street-cakes.htm

HTH

sorry this happened to you nicunurse & happy it ended well, luckily you have a nice customer there =)

just want to add to what was said above.. what about the sisters in dc cupcakes?i really find their hair to be messy,unhygienic & all, while baking & decorating icon_confused.gif

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:28am
post #32 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhope

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyascanbee

or you can tie it to the back into a tight pony tail.. Those people in Food Networl challenge do not wear head gears.. their hair is just flowing or just tucked in.

According to this article, the cakes aren't always eaten but may be tossed into the dumpster:

http://preschoolers.about.com/b/2009/07/26/food-network-challenge-features-sesame-street-cakes.htm

HTH

sorry this happened to you nicunurse & happy it ended well, luckily you have a nice customer there =)

just want to add to what was said above.. what about the sisters in dc cupcakes?i really find their hair to be messy,unhygienic & all, while baking & decorating icon_confused.gif

I agree with bobhope. Also, on one of those cake shows (where they're given a task to make a cake for a special event), doesn't the winner end up serving the cake at the party/event? I'm assuming it's the same cake they've made while NOT having their hair tied back, or with their long fingernails! icon_smile.gif

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 10:37am
post #33 of 57

I'm just a hobbyist but I always wear a hairnet because I'm afraid of hair ending up in my cakes. I have long hair that does occasionally show up in food if I'm not careful (this has happened a couple of times when I didn't pull it back while making supper). My husband and his father totally freak out if there is a hair in food and will not eat it. Your customer sounds totally reasonable!

I'm sorry this happened to you, and I would just wear a hairnet in the future to avoid this happening again.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 11:21am
post #34 of 57

Most of the time the loose hair comes from your clothes on to the food. After putting on the hair net then use a sticky lint roller and go all over your arms, shoulders around the back etc. You will be surprised how much loose hair will be on there! icon_smile.gif

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 6:10pm
post #35 of 57

I probably need to be more careful about this as well, especially the point above about the hairs coming from clothing, not necessarily off ones head. Guess I should put hair up, put my bandana on, THEN change clothes. Thanks for making me think a little harder about this!! icon_smile.gif

On another note...I'm really not typically concerned if I find hair in my food. Honestly, it's the things I can't see that worry me more...but I know I'm in the minority - I know most people find hair in the food to be disgusting!

sleepiesaturn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepiesaturn Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 2:45am
post #36 of 57

Hair can be so tricky. I tie my hair up, put it under a hat AND use a lint roller...you can never be too careful

happyascanbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happyascanbee Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 4:45am
post #37 of 57

Cake decorators on Ace Of CAkes NEVER wear hair nets while decorating cakes...

Same in Iron Chef.... or Chopped... and the judges eat them.

CharBubble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharBubble Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 1:47pm
post #38 of 57

No, I don't think you should press it- if the customer truly wanted the refund, she would have accepted it. She probably realizes that it happens sometimes!

CharBubble Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharBubble Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 10:36pm
post #39 of 57

No, I don't think you should press it- if the customer truly wanted the refund, she would have accepted it. She probably realizes that it happens sometimes!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 12:32am
post #40 of 57

I made prepackaged refrigerated cinnamon rolls today and then my DH iced them. I pulled TWO hairs off my roll! Yech! He is 37 and has tons and tons left but it falls out like rainicon_sad.gif if we'd have had more I would've chucked it but then I wouldn't have had one.... Besides, being married you do much worse!

smallnmighty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smallnmighty Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 1:55pm
post #41 of 57

Wow they throw them away!? Don't they have homeless shelters or something to donate too? Seems like such a waste!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 4:44pm
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetcakesCT

Also, on one of those cake shows (where they're given a task to make a cake for a special event), doesn't the winner end up serving the cake at the party/event? I'm assuming it's the same cake they've made while NOT having their hair tied back, or with their long fingernails! icon_smile.gif

On Food Network Challenge, the cake is thrown away and the winner has to remake the cake for the event. I know this because one of the winners posted this in her blog. (I think it was Marina Sousa) She posted something to the effect that winning $10,000 was not really the point because they then have to travel and transport all the ingredients (on their own dime) to wherever the wedding/event is and remake the whole cake from scratch. So it ends up costing them more than they win. Of course the publicity and right to use "Food Network Challenge Winner" in their promotions for the rest of their lives more than makes up for it.

SamHarrison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamHarrison Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 12:28pm
post #43 of 57

Oh no, I really feel for you, it's my worst nightmare and somethig I always worry about. My hair was down to the middle of my back and I always had it tied up in a bun when baking but a couple of moonths ago I just thought the risk was too great and had my hair cut off to a very short bob. I wear (a very unattractive) large headband now to keep my hair out of the way. I'm sure you were so carfeul and did everything properly, sometimes things just happen. I found a hair in a meal last month and it did really put me off. It was a tiny tiny hair, they gave usthe meal for free and gave us a voucher for another free meal. I think that was the right way to handle that but when it comes to a several £100 cake (or in your case several $100) that's just not necessarily possible. I would try offering a 50% refund on an expensive cake or if it was only £50 or so, I'd just refund the whole thing or offer another cake of the same value for free at a later date.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 3:36am
post #44 of 57

I always wear my hair pinned up AND tucked into a baseball cap...and haven't had any hair issues (knock-wood)!!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 4:52pm
post #45 of 57

I keep a sticky lint roller on hand. After pulling up my hair and putting on the net I use the roller to get anything that is loose on my uniform, shoulders, arms and then again on my apron after I put it on.

bfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfairy Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 7:54pm
post #46 of 57

AI'm so glad to find this post, as this just happened to me and I feel mortified. Ugh.....

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 9:55pm
post #47 of 57

What exactly happened fairy? Was it buried in the cake, or what?

CupcakeCali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeCali Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 8:14pm
post #48 of 57

I normally charge extra for hair. lol

I'm with Paperfishies. If it's a tiered cake, then refund her the amount for that tier or one of the medium size tiers. I mean c'mon folks, do you all know what's in your peanut butter as an example? (a certain percentage of mice poop is "allowable" according to health food standards). Okay, maybe that's not the best example to use but I think you get the point I'm making. 

Anyway, take it as a learning experience to tighten up quality control, don't over apologize, just correct the situation, give a discount or refund depending on the size of the cake and have confidence in your cake skills. :-)

RedneckRuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckRuffle Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 8:49pm
post #49 of 57

AWOW! It's a hair. Throw it away and move on with life. I would never make someone feel guilty for dropping a hair in my food. If people knew how many bugs are ground up in their flour and sugar, they'd never eat again. If they knew how much urine and fecal matter is legally allowed in canned foods........a HAIR? No problem!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 9:05pm
post #50 of 57

it's organic, bio-degradable, gluten free, sugar free and calorie free--

i think i'll order another one-- hahahaha

RedneckRuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckRuffle Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 9:20pm
post #51 of 57

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

And, when you're done with the cake, you can floss with it.

ruellesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruellesmith Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 12:59pm
post #52 of 57

Just apologize to him or her and tell him/her that you are so sorry and comfort the guy. I accidentally did the same thing and it was horrible I lost customers but eventually they came back because they know that was only an accident. We're not perfect by the way.

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 3:14pm
post #53 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

Awesome answer K8......us TN have the right attitude!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 6:19pm
post #54 of 57

It's only a few dollars to buy a bunch of hairnets.........it helps. and your post makes me feel better about buying them for myself.  I felt kind of silly at first wearing them in my own kitchen.  I also bought some plain white mens t-shirts (so it would be easier to see any hair) before I get started.

Agree with everyone.......don't beat yourself up.  There is no such thing as a sterile kitchen without creating a special environment for such a purpose.

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 9:26pm
post #55 of 57

My guys & I  wear baseball caps but mostly I wear an O.R. skull cap, all crazy colors & designs.......the boys sometimes even wear what we call 'Do-RAGS'........like handkerchiefs - think of the rock group Guns & Roses, they wore them........ Bikers wear them under their helmets........

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 6:57pm
post #56 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

It's only a few dollars to buy a bunch of hairnets.........it helps. and your post makes me feel better about buying them for myself.  I felt kind of silly at first wearing them in my own kitchen.  I also bought some plain white mens t-shirts (so it would be easier to see any hair) before I get started.

Agree with everyone.......don't beat yourself up.  There is no such thing as a sterile kitchen without creating a special environment for such a purpose.

Hey MB you must look really cool in those T-shirts with your hairnets on? 

I'd like to suggest you team this with fisherman's waders and perhaps wooden clogs. There are many sites on the internet devoted specifically to this type of unique ensemble?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 7:32pm
post #57 of 57

HA..........Looks are deceiving, I can tell you.  The hairnet actually makes my head hotter than heck.  It's like wearing a wool cap in the kitchen, as my hair is so thick.

It kinda odd, how I decided to dress like a mad fishing clog dancer in my own kitchen.  I had made some rolled out cookies and decorated them for a friend.  I kept a couple for myself. They are so wonderfully delicious (so just how does home cooking with simple recipes and fresh ingredients taste so good I'll never know).

I broke a piece off of the first cookie, rather than take a big bite and just gobble it down.  As I pulled the broken piece off..........it stayed connected.  WHAT!!!!  Hay!

There was a single thread of my long hair baked right into the middle of the cookie.  It connected the two pieces of cookies like the Golden Gate Bridge.   What the Heck!  Shock, stomach churning embarrassment.   On to the computer, bring up Amazon.com ChopChop,  buy hairnets pronto. 

If my friends also got cookies with my luscious locks of tresses, they never said a word. Angels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%