Help - Insurance Australia

Decorating By Belle86 Updated 1 Nov 2011 , 1:43am by princesscris

Belle86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belle86 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 7:16am
post #1 of 2

Hi Everyone,

I have been working towards starting a business selling my icing toppers to people via the internet and in a local visitor centre.

I have had so much trouble getting Product Liability insurance, all of the companies I have contacted want me to take out Public Liability insurace as well as the Product Liability, but I don't need it because people wont be on my property & I wont be selling from shop stalls. I also cannot afford to pay $700 in premiums, especially when I am just getting started. icon_sad.gif

I had heard that you can join a local cake assocaition and get Product Liability insurance at a discounted price, but my local one doesn't seem to offer that benefit and they don't reply to my emails.

I contacted my local council food inspector and she suggested that perhaps I don't need the insurance because my products should last a year or so, but she wasn't certain.

Please help, does anyone in Australia know of an insurance company that offers just Product Liability? Or what have you done to get around this (anyone, anywhere, any country)?

Thanks for your help


1 reply
princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 1 Nov 2011 , 1:43am
post #2 of 2

Hi Belynda

I was a member of the Cake Decorators' Association of NSW a few years ago, and they offered discounted insurance. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was very reasonable. Their website states that they accept members from other states (and overseas) and lists discounted insurance under the member benefits page:

If your local association isn't responding to your emails, you might have more luck calling them.

All the best,

Quote by @%username% on %date%