How Do You Stack?

Decorating By mollysuzie Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 4:31pm by heyjules

mollysuzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollysuzie Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering which stacking method you prefer. Using the plastic cake separator plates and sticking the "feet" in to keep each layer together...or separating each layer with cardboard and using dowels? I'm just getting into wedding cakes and want to use the best method. Thank you for your help!

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 6

SPS instructions (with 30 pages of comments):

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925-.html

HTH

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 6

I think most people here will recommend the SPS system, but as it is hard for me to locate in Canada, and I don't have time to have it shipped from the states, I will be using bubble tea straws in my upcoming wedding cake. I have heard that the Wilton system isn't the best because the legs don't fit snugly into the seperator plates, but I don't have direct experience with it myself.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 6

I use a combination of methods. I use bubble tea straws and the Wilton seperator plates. I straws for support in the bottom layer(s), and the Wilton plates with the little feet so I know the seperator plate won't be sliding around on the cake. I have stacked and driven many tiered cakes and have not had any issues/problems with them yet.

~Chelle

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 6

I have made many bakes using bubble tea straws and cardboard (wrapped in plastic) and one wooden dowel down the center and have not had any issues with transport, shifting or stability.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 6

I use cake jacks. They are plastic dowels, but they have plastic screws on them so you can adjust the height. I always hated cutting dowels, so these are great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%