Has Anyone Used Wd 40 To Clean Decorating Tips???

Decorating By cakefanatic Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 1:13pm by cakefanatic

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:53am
post #1 of 10

These are post I found online...

Is WD-40 Safe On All Surfaces?
WD-40 is safe on almost all surfaces found in your house. The few exceptions include some plastic surfaces that must avoid contact with petroleum-based products. AND

How to Clean Rust Off Cake Decorating Tips
Instructions
Things You'll Need

* WD-40
* Toothbrush

Get what you need for every
project at HomeDepot.com

Spray WD-40 on the rusted areas of the icing tips. The lubricant breaks down the rust so that it can be removed easily. Let the tips sit with the lubricant on them for two minutes.

Scrub the rusted areas of the decorating tips with a toothbrush to remove the broken down rust.

Rinse the rust and lubricant from the tips. Wash the tips in the dishwasher before using.

Read more: How to Clean Rust Off Cake Decorating Tips |

http://www.ehow.com/how_8153563_clean-off-cake-decorating-tips.html

ANY ADVICE TO HOW TRUE THIS IS????

9 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 8:56am
post #2 of 10

All I can say is those tips are $2-3 each and there's no way I'm going to spend 10 minutes scrubbing if before I buy a new one! lol

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 11:11am
post #3 of 10

I'm not so sure I'd ever use WD40 on anything that came in contact with food. Have you ever gotten that stuff on your hands? It takes forever to get rid of the smell, which means there is still some residue there. Why would a tip be rusty in the first place? Hot soap and water! Dry the tip. Your done.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 11:11am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

All I can say is those tips are $2-3 each and there's no way I'm going to spend 10 minutes scrubbing if before I buy a new one! lol

Ditto!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 10

I would not use WD-40 on food based items..The chemicals in it are not food safe...I'd just throw the old tips out and buy new ones for the minimal cost.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 10

I wouldn't even be able to get past the smell! Besides, that stuff will take rust off of things, but if you scrub off the lubricant from the metal, it will just rust again. The chemicals is what keeps the rust away. I have tons of tips and none of them ever rusted. My dad even gave me mom's tips after she pasted away and they are not rusty. They have been around for a long time (no disrespect mom icon_smile.gif )

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 10

I use WD 40 to clean my stainless steel appliances so I can see how it'd theoretically work but I wouldn't use it for food items either!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 10

I'm generally distrustful of any instructions posted on ehow.com! The WD-40 Material Safety Data Sheet says:

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf

Quote:
Quote:

DANGER! Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Combustible Liquid. If swallowed, may be aspirated and cause lung damage. May cause eye irritation. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.

No where does it say it's safe for food contact. The USDA has only approved it as a lubricant for places where there is no food contact.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 10

I know Wilton's tips are nickle plated so they should never rust. They will discolor but not rust.

If I had rust on a tip, I'd just toss it and buy a new one. They aren't that expensive.

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all for posting your comments. I was iffy myself with what the article said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%