Vanilla Beans... Not Expensive And Not Hard And Crusty?!

Decorating By AniK Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 9:53pm by AniK

AniK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AniK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:35am
post #1 of 10

I wanted to try a cupcake recipe using vanilla bean today and I went to the store (Safeway) and found ONE for $5.99, and if I shook the jar, it rattled like dried corn! Not helpful! Anyone found good vanilla beans, for good prices, and with good quality? Oh, and not charging a zillion dollars for shipping would be nice too... ugh.

9 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 7:07am
post #2 of 10

Ebay. Lots of sellers with great beans at great prices. I make my own extract and that's where I get my beans from.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 8:55am
post #3 of 10

Also try the natural foods section of your grocery store. They are usually cheaper. I can't speak to how old they may be... that will depend on your store and the demand. Sometimes Costco has them.

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 10:15am
post #4 of 10

You can order them from beanilla . com They are having a sale on madagascar beans 25 ct. for $25, shipping to where I live is about $4 plus change. The more you buy, the cheaper they are. If you vacuum pack them they will last for years.

You can also buy them from a ma z on. HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 10:31am
post #5 of 10

Amazon from JR Mushrooms.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 10

Vanilla Products USA. Get a jar of paste while you're at it.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, ebay is a great place to buy. I would never buy one from a grocery store, what a rip off, at my local store they were asking 7.99 for one bean.

SweetDreams_DK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams_DK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 10

Here in Seattle, we have a chain called QFC that has vanilla beans in the bulk food section that they sell by the pound. It takes a ton of vanilla beans to make a pound! (I think something like $67/lb.) They end up being next to nothing when you just buy a few, and they're wonderfully fresh.

So, try the bulk spices section in your grocery store.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 10

In Canada the best place to get good fresh vanilla beans is at
www.vanillafoodcompany.ca I order from them all the time and have never been disappointed with the price or quality.

AniK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AniK Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 10

All of these are great. Thanks guys. After going through all of them, the best one was Indrivanilla, but the post is gone now... I'm on a large public network of about 70,000 people so I hope whoever it was didn't get their post deleted because we share an IP! Thanks for all your posts; I will be ordering me some vanilla beans from Indrivanilla tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%