Buying Bulk For Making Cakes

Decorating By bettycece Updated 22 Oct 2011 , 1:41am by jason_kraft

bettycece Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettycece Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 12:03am
post #1 of 5

does anyone buy bulk cake boxes , fondant , ready made creams? If so where, is it online? I love baking as a hobby and have some friends at work that wants me to do some cakes for them. The problem is I don't want to over charge them, then again I don't want to be under charge.

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 12:32am
post #2 of 5

We buy cake boxes and flour at Restaurant Depot, a national chain of restaurant supply stores (they do require a business license). We make our own frosting but buy most of the ingredients at stores like Costco, Smart & Final, and Target, except for fondant which we buy online.

One thing to watch out for is whether or not your state allows you to legally sell cakes from home. Some states have cottage food laws that allow this, but other states require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen if accepting compensation for cakes.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 12:51am
post #3 of 5

I get bulk boxes from brpboxshop. Super fast and free shipping! The quality is really good too.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 1:37am
post #4 of 5

jason_kraft may I ask what online site you buy your fondant from? So many out there always looking for good price and shipping can be a killer. thanks

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 1:41am
post #5 of 5

We buy Satin Ice fondant from GSA, even with shipping prices are lower than bulk fondant at local shops (which makes sense, considering the local shops still have to pay for shipping from the distributor).

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=799

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%