Which Choco Flavor Mix For Choco Wasc

Baking By karukaru Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 8:14pm by Cookgirl

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hello Everyone!
I'm not a big chocolate cake person so this is foreign territory for me. I am making a 3 tier wedding cake on the 29th and my friend requested a chocolate and vanilla cake with raspberry filling. I am planning on baking chocolate wascand rose levy Berenbaum's butter chocolate cake this weekend to see which one tastes better. My question is which chocolate mix flavor should I use? Should I use dark chocolate or devils something (not sure about the name lol.) Also, any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you!

7 replies
kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 8

When I make a chocolate wasc I use Betty Crocker Devil's food. I add 3 eggs, 1 c sour cream, 1 c flour, 1c white sugar, 1 1/3 c h20 and 1/4 c cocoa powder. Makes for a pretty darn good chocolate cake...and I love chocolate!

karukaru Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie-d

When I make a chocolate wasc I use Betty Crocker Devil's food. I add 3 eggs, 1 c sour cream, 1 c flour, 1c white sugar, 1 1/3 c h20 and 1/4 c cocoa powder. Makes for a pretty darn good chocolate cake...and I love chocolate!

Thanks! You use BC? Because they reduced the mixes. They are now 15.25 oz as opposed to 18.25 oz which is the amount the original wasc calls for

karukaru Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 8

Oops! I forgot to add a question mark after "BC"

pennyemer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pennyemer Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 8

To Kathie-d, you don't add any oil into this mixture?
Most of the other posts also state 4 eggs.
I need to make freebee cake next week and think it would be a great time to try something new, but wanted to be sure on the ingredients!
Thanks!

kathie-d Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 8

They have reduced it but I don't find it affects the flavour of my doctored recipe at all, I just get a little less batter. I prefer BC to DH, but that's just me. There are people who will swear by one and others who swear by the other....wjatever works for you!

kathie-d Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyemer

To Kathie-d, you don't add any oil into this mixture?
Most of the other posts also state 4 eggs.
I need to make freebee cake next week and think it would be a great time to try something new, but wanted to be sure on the ingredients!
Thanks!

Nope, no oil...with the sour cream you really don't need it. Different recipes call for it....but I don't use it. And yes, I only use only 3 eggs.

Cookgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookgirl Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 8

I use Duncan Hines devil food.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%