Starting From The Bottom

Business By CUPCAKESANDMORE Updated 25 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm by QTCakes1

CUPCAKESANDMORE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CUPCAKESANDMORE Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 17

I (65yrs) live here in Hickory NC and i am on a disability income it has been very hard to make ends meet as most of us know...I will soon be done with my 3rd and last part of the Wilton course....Can someone please tell me the best way to start a home base business, I have 2 dogs and a cat so, I can't have my kitchen certified....Thank You

16 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 17

It would help if we knew where you are located. Someone here will be sure to help you out. Good luck!

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

It would help if we knew where you are located. Someone here will be sure to help you out. Good luck!

She stated Hickory, NC icon_wink.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 17

Would you still be able to collect your disability income with a home based business? I would check on that first...

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 17

I live in NC too! I started by taking cakes to my kid's school. The teachers really appreciated it, and eventually ordered cakes from me. Then their family and friends started calling me, and before you know it, I had a business going. That's how I started. If you have a connection to a local public school (grandchild, teacher friend, etc.) see if you can bring some cake in and ask the teachers to "taste test" for you. You will be amazed at the response you get! Good luck!

CUPCAKESANDMORE Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

I live in NC too! I started by taking cakes to my kid's school. The teachers really appreciated it, and eventually ordered cakes from me. Then their family and friends started calling me, and before you know it, I had a business going. That's how I started. If you have a connection to a local public school (grandchild, teacher friend, etc.) see if you can bring some cake in and ask the teachers to "taste test" for you. You will be amazed at the response you get! Good luck!

Thank You so much for your reply....I will get in touch with the school here, plus, you gave me an idea, I will go to the local senior center as well...Thanks Again.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 17

...moving to Cake Decorating Business forum.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 17

If you can't have your home kitchen certified under the NC cottage food law because of your pets, you'll need to find either a commercial kitchen or someone else's home kitchen before you can legally charge for your cakes.

The idea of bringing your products in for a "taste test" is a good one, just be sure to make it clear that the samples are for staff only. Given the prevalence of food allergies among children and other health conditions among seniors, you'll want to cover yourself with liability insurance before your products are served to kids or seniors.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 11:50am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirlcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

She stated Hickory, NC icon_wink.gif

Oops, she did indeed! My mistake. icon_redface.gif

Bootycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bootycat Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 17

I am in my second cake decorating class. I also do custom cookies too. I give away 2 cookies and 2 cupcakes for samples. I gave them to family, freinds and ex coworkers, and i started getting orders. I also gave to my hair stylist and her coworkers. Now, i'm working on neighbors.

CUPCAKESANDMORE Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootycat

I am in my second cake decorating class. I also do custom cookies too. I give away 2 cookies and 2 cupcakes for samples. I gave them to family, freinds and ex coworkers, and i started getting orders. I also gave to my hair stylist and her coworkers. Now, i'm working on neighbors.

Hope your having fun in class like i did, This Thursady will be my last class in the final (Fondant) course, a new course will be starting sometime next year and i can't wait....I will be giving free samples out, I do believe that's the best way to go....??? for you, once you started getting orders did you charge a fee?...Thanks.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 17

When I first started, I was living in a one bedroom apartment and my kitchen was WAY too small, so I had my church kitchen inspected by the Dept. of Ag. instead. Since you have pets and won't be able to use your home kitchen, think about places such as churches that you could use as well.

Annie Creative Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie Creative Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 17

I started in May this year by also giving sample to my co-workers and friends. Right now I cannot complain, I work from home,in my own kitchen, still maintenaing my JOB. By the time I am taking the order, I make sure I ask the client question about his surronding (Allergies,Diabetic, Flavors and so on) like someone else mentioned , making sure to cover myself for any liabilities. I love it and enjoy it also. hope that help. ENJOY.

Annie Creative Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie Creative Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 17

I started in May this year by also giving sample to my co-workers and friends. Right now I cannot complain, I work from home,in my own kitchen, still maintenaing my JOB. By the time I am taking the order, I make sure I ask the client question about his surronding (Allergies,Diabetic, Flavors and so on) like someone else mentioned , making sure to cover myself for any liabilities. I love it and enjoy it also. hope that help. ENJOY.

CUPCAKESANDMORE Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonchon

Thanks for the reply. Many years ago I owned a video store and the only thing I had to worry about then was the vcr eating my tapes. I do plan on asking about allergies etc. and I have been giving samples to neighbors etc.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPCAKESANDMORE

Can someone please tell me the best way to start a home base business, I have 2 dogs and a cat so, I can't have my kitchen certified....Thank You

I would definitely look into renting a kitchen, since N.C. does require to sell out of a licensed kitchen. And seeing as how you are just finishing your Wilton's courses, I would get more expierence in making cakes before selling.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm
post #17 of 17

[quote="CUPCAKESANDMORE"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootycat

for you, once you started getting orders did you charge a fee?...Thanks.

Are you asking if you should charge for cakes? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%