Wasc And Simple Syrup????

Baking By ranbel Updated 22 Oct 2011 , 3:27am by ranbel

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone used simple syrup on their WASC? I baked last night and the outside on the cake felt dry and I'm afraid it will be to dry.

It's been a while since I baked a WASC, not sure if it is normal for the outside to feel kinda dry/firm like.

6 replies
Claireybear1121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claireybear1121 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 7

hmmm, I've never ever had a problem with a boxed cake recipe being dry. How long did you let it cool for? I always wrap cakes in plastic wrap-- when still hot for a scratch cake, and when just barely warm for a boxed cake or WASC cake-- it traps some of the steam in the cake and leaving it wrapped until it comes completely to room temp will keep it moist, especially if your kitchen has low humidity when baking!

To actually answer your question though, if it's dry, simple syrup will just about always fix it! I like to add flavored liquor to simple syrup after it's done cooking- Kahluah for chocolate cakes, Grand Marnier for a citris flavored cake, etc... yummy!

ranbel Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 7

isn't simple syrup just sugar & water? if so what is the ratio to make it? and how heavy do you apply in to your cake?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 7

1:1 by volume. Apply as heavy as you need - some people use a brush (light soak) and some (me) use a squirt bottle (heavier soak).

ranbel Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 2:57am
post #5 of 7

thanks, I will probably be to scared to go very heavy. Does it make you cake very wet inside once it soaks in?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 3:23am
post #6 of 7

No. You really shouldn't know it's there except the cake is nice and moist.

ranbel Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 3:27am
post #7 of 7

ok, thanks alot

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%